The Royal Army Medical Corps
And the Malta Garrison

The Malta Garrison – 1924

Garrison Strength

1 Jan 1924: 188 officers, 3,298 rank and file.
1 July 1924: 191 officers, 3,433 rank and file.

Military Hospital Mtarfa

Mtarfa isolation Block
Mtarfa Military Hospital Isolation Block
Mtarfa isolation
The Neo-Classical single storey Isolation Block was erected in the grounds of the hospital in 1924.
Mtarfa quarters
The two storied sisters' quarters and QARANC Officers Mess was built at Mtarfa in 1924.

The isolation blocks were not in a good state of repair when the military hospital was taken over by the Navy in 1962, and were not incorporated in the Royal Naval Hospital Mtarfa.

Married quarters for RAMC soldiers existed in a block outside the hospital gates. These consisted of ten flats which were declared substandard. The army never modernized them and the flats were used on a temporary basis only.

In 1964, when the military hospital was being converted into a Combined Services Hospital, the flats were offered to the Navy to accommodate key ratings whose duties required them to be within immediate call.

Baptisms Barracca Garrison Church Valletta 1924

  • 11 Jan Diana Patricia Swan born 23 November 1923, daughter of Ada Bryant and Accountant Sgt Maj Sidney John Swan Corps Military Accountants of Notre Dame Ravelin, Floriana.