On 10 July 1839, the Governor, Sir Henry Bouverie (1836-1843), made a recommendation to the Secretary of State for the University of London to recognise the medical degree of the University of Malta.
On 15 Aug, the Senate of the University of London replied that candidates would only be admitted for the First Examination for the degree of Bachelor of Medicine, once they had passed the Matriculation Examination of the University of London.
The register of post mortem examinations carried by John Liddell (1794–1868) at the Royal Naval Hospital Malta from 1828 to 1839, appeared in the Malta Government Gazette on 27 Aug 1834.
The register, kept in a pharmacist's ledger, had its first entry on 16 Jan 1829. It had regular entries until 6 May 1838. In an entry dated 5 Jan 1832, Liddell refers to the new hospital at Bighi. This was the first time the naval hospital in Malta was mentioned. The date of this entry was nine months before the hospital had been completed on 24 Sept 1832.
In 1855, Liddell was succeeded by Sir William Burnett as Medical Director General. Burnett held the post until 1864.