Regiments
Of the Malta Garrison
The 69th
(South Lincolnshire)

The 69th (South Lincolnshire) Regiment

The 69th Foot arose from the 2nd Bn/24th Regiment of Foot raised in 1756, which in 1758 was renumbered 69th Regiment. In 1782 South Lincolnshire was added to the title.

On 1 July 1881, the 69th (South Lincolnshire) Regiment amalgamated with the 41st (The Welsh) Regiment, to form the Second Battalion of The Welsh Regiment.

The revised spelling of Welch was adopted in 1920.

The 1st/69th (South Lincolnshire) Regiment

1847 1st/69th (South Lincolnshire)

41st Welsh Regiment
The rose and the thistle on the same stalk within the garter; The Prince of Wales's Plume with the motto Gwell angua na Chywilydd received in 1822, lies above the garter, below is a scroll inscribed The Welch Regiment 41st (Main Guard Valletta)

12 Dec 1847 The 1st/69th Regiment consisting of 572 men, 51 women, and 67 children arrived from Portsmouth on the transport Bellisle. Also present were 21 officers, 12 wives and 7 children. The regiment was quartered at Lower St Elmo Barracks, which it shared with The 54th Regiment. It remained in Valletta from 15 Dec 1847 to 31 Mar 1848.

Elmo
Lower St Elmo Barracks

Lower St Elmo Barracks is situated at the foot of Valletta to the west of Fort St Elmo. The barracks is constructed behind the parapet wall and that part of the arch which is scarped out to form the sea front of the works looking towards the Quarantine Harbour. It consisted of three storeys lying east to west. The back of the rooms were formed by the solid rock; the front opened on to a barrack yard, which originally was the quarry from where the building material was obtained.

Lower Elmo
Plan of Lower St Elmo Barracks (TNA:MFQ 1/330)

The rooms at the lower tier were badly ventilated and were used as stores and offices. The two upper storeys were occupied by the men. They were well lit and ventilated. Each tier had a common passage running along the whole front. A large window was present opposite each room in which the men slept, while the uppermost tier also had a small window at the back as these rooms rose above the level of the platform of the works. Each room housed 30 men. The men slept on boards and trestles, there were no iron bedsteads.

hospital
Plan of the General Military Hospital in the former Sacra Infermeria of the Order of St John (TNA:MPH 1/912).

15 Dec 1847 The regimental hospital opened on 15 Dec 1847. It formed part of the General Hospital at Lower Merchant Street Valletta and consisted of four wards. The largest was capable of holding 28 patients. Two smaller wards, each capable of holding six beds, were reached from the large ward. Between these two small wards, and opening into the large one, was a small room where mobile patients ate their meals. The large ward was heated in winter by a stove, which also warmed the two smaller ones, as they both opened directly into the large ward. The fourth ward was situated to the side of the great staircase leading from the quadrangle to the large ward. This was capable of holding nine beds. The surgery was located on the landing between this ward and the large one. A covered staircase led from the large ward to the privy so that the patients were not exposed to the weather. Patients took their exercise on the flat roof and corridors.

Valletta
Plan of 1841 showing the location of Barracks in Valletta (TNA:MFQ 1/330).

The average strength of the battalion was 608 men. The average daily sick in hospital was 31. There was a small detachment consisting of an officer, one sergeant and 25 men at Fort Tigne, which was relieved every month.

Twenty eight children were treated between 15 Dec 1847 and 31 Mar 1848. There were 15 cases of rubeola, which first appeared during their passage to Malta. All the children recovered. One child with Tabes Mesenterica died shortly after the regiment disembarked at Malta.

Eleven men of the 54th Regiment remained under treatment in the hospital of the 1st/69th Foot when their regiment embarked for the West Indies on 27 Dec 1847.

1848 1st/69th (South Lincolnshire)

Twenty seven cases of Common Continued Fever were treated in the regimental hospital. The medical officers blamed the effects of intemperance for the fever which was usually of a mild character.

Marriages in 1848:

Baptisms in 1848:

Deaths in 1848:

10 Oct 1848 On this day, three soldiers died of cholera within a few hours of falling ill. Another soldier in the Royal Artillery died on 11 October. The regiment was moved from Lower St Elmo Barracks to Floriana, and the barracks was cleaned and white washed in readiness for occupation by the Reserve Battalion 69th Foot.

1849 1st/69th (South Lincolnshire)

Oct 1849 The 1st/69th Foot moved from Floriana Barracks to Isola. They were relieved by the 44th Regiment.

Apr Capt Moore 69th Foot with a detachment of 130 men and 3 subalterns moved to Fort Manoel.

Marriages in 1849:

Baptisms in 1849:

1850 1st/69th (South Lincolnshire)

1 Jan 1850 The regiment had a total of 570 men (6 coys) consisting of: 1 Captain, 1 Lieutenant, and 1 Ensign per company, 30 Sgts, 11 Drummers, and 24 Cpls and 505 soldiers. The state of health of the 1st Bn was reported to be good with the prevailing disease being venereal. The Battalion had an average daily sick of 27 men.

Marriages in 1850:

May The Reserve Bn amalgamated with the 1st/69th Regiment.

1 Aug The regimental strength was: 1,053 men, 42 male children, 45 female children, 20 wives of Sgts, 57 wives of drummers and rank and file, 21 drummers, 47 Sgts, 985 rank and file. Their commanding officer Col W L Paxton had been appointed on 22 Feb 1850, and had purchased of his commission following the retirement of Col Dillon, the former commanding officer 69th Foot.

The average daily sick was 57 with the prevailing disease being Common Continuance Fever. 13 soldiers died in August as opposed to only 1 death in July.

Deaths in 1850:

J Bathurst Thomson
John Bathurst Thomson 1813-1850, Surgeon 69th Foot died of cholera 18 Sep 1850. (Memorial Upper Barracca Gardens Valletta)

1 Sep Strength: 1,037 men. The state of health was reported to be good with bowel complaints prevailing. The average daily sick for September was 72. The battalion HQ was at Lower St Elmo barracks together with eight coys; one coy was at Fort Ricasoli and another at Fort Salvatore. In September, there was a predominance of bowel complaints with an average average daily sick of 77 men.

1 Oct Strength: 1,035 men, with an average average daily sick of 72 men.

10 Oct 1850 Three soldiers died of Asiatic Cholera. The regiment was moved to Floriana.

Baptisms in 1850:

1851 1st/69th (South Lincolnshire)

The battalion had 644 men with the regimental HQ at Valletta.

13 Apr 1851 560 men, 41 women, and 58 children of the 1st/69th (South Lincolnshire) left for the West Indies.

The Reserve Battalion/69th (South Lincolnshire) Regiment

1847 Res/69th (South Lincolnshire)

11 Dec 1847 The Head Quarters of the Reserve Bn 69th Regiment with 301 men, 17 women, and 25 children arrived from Portsmouth on the transport Blenheim. The battalion was commanded by Lt Col Dillon. Small pox broke out during their passage from England. Every possible means was adopted to stop the contagion by cleanliness, ventilation, and fumigation, and the bedding and clothing of those who died was thrown overboard. A soldier of the 69th died from smallpox on board the Blenheim.

12 Dec The regiment disembarked at Fort Manoel to undergo quarantine, where four fresh cases occurred. The men became infected despite showing all the distinct marks of vaccination. Three patients recovered, but the fourth had confluent small pox which terminated fatally. Those infected where removed to the Lazaretto as there was no hospital in Fort Manoel.

1848 Res/69th (South Lincolnshire)

Location of Barracks
Location of Barracks around the Three Cities of Cospicua, Senglea and Vittoriosa. The regimental hospital was in the former Armeria in Vittoriosa. (TNA:MFQ 1/330)

The regimental Head Quarters remained at Fort Manoel until 21 Jan 1848, when it moved to the Cottonera District. It was united with the 2nd Division of the regiment, which arrived from Portsmouth on the Maria Soames. On 6 Jan 1848, 255 men, 23 women, and 33 children of the 2nd Division of the Reserve Battalion disembarked and marched to Fort Ricasoli, which it occupied for a few days.

Isola Gate
Isola Gate Barracks

The Reserve Battalion occupied the Cottonera District from 14 Dec 1847 to 31 Mar 1848. The companies were located in the following barracks:

Isola Gate
Plan of Isola Gate Barracks (TNA:MFQ 1/330)

The regimental hospital of the Reserve/69th Regt was located in the former Armeria of the Order of St John in Vittoriosa. It was an extensive building with ample accommodation for 92 patients. The hospital consisted of an upper and lower flights of rooms. In the upper portion were 3 long wards parallel to each other, and running nearly north - south in their longitudinal axis. The central ward accommodated 18 beds while those on either side of it had 20 beds each. One of these wards had a fireplace in which a fire was kept constantly burning in the afternoon during the cold weather.

De Paola
Francesco de Paola Barracks (TNA:MFQ 1/330)

The lower floor of the hospital had a large central ward of 22 beds, with five small wards on either side. The kitchen, store rooms, bakery room with an abundance of good water, and water closets were in the lower div of the hospital. The surgery and reception room were in the upper part of the hospital. The hospital had rooms for two medical officers. All the wards were well ventilated by large windows.2

Salvatore
San Salvatore Barracks (TNA:MFQ 1/330)

10 Oct 1848 The Reserve Battalion moved to Fort Lower St Elmo. No sooner had it arrived there, that the men were attacked with cholera. This was attributed to the presence of stagnant water under the fort. Three died, and the Res/69th was removed to Floriana.

Baptisms in 1848:

Deaths in 1848:

1849 Res/69th (South Lincolnshire)

Apr 1849 The Res/69th marched to Lower St Elmo Barracks.

Baptisms in 1849:

1850 Res/69th (South Lincolnshire)

Vittoriosa Hospital
Vittoriosa Hospital

Jan 1850 Six coys including one coy were at Fort Manoel. The battalion had a total of 573 men consisting of 2 Field Officers, 6 Capts, 8 Sub Lieutenants, 4 SSgts, 28 Sgts, 12 Drummers, and 27 Cpls and 506 soldiers.
The general health of the Reserve Battalion was reported to be good with the prevailing disease being catarrh. It had an average daily sick of 23 men.

May 1850 The Reserve Bn amalgamated with the 1st/69th Regiment.

Baptisms in 1850:

1851 Res/69th (South Lincolnshire)

29 Mar 1851 208 men, 19 women, and 43 children left for England. There were no medical officers. The rest of depôt left for England on 3 April 1851.

Bibliography