Regiments of the Malta Garrison The 41st (Welch) Regiment
The 41st (Welch) Regiment
The 41st Foot was raised in 1719 from invalids and out-pensioners. In 1741 it was known as the Royal Invalids.
In 1751 the Royal Invalids was numbered 41st in the infantry order of precedence. In 1787 it lost its title of Royal Invalids and became a Regiment of Foot. In 1831 it was given a territorial affiliation, becoming the 41st (Welch) Regiment of Foot.
On 3 August 1843, the 41st was granted permission to bear the honour Candahar 1842, in commemoration of the action fought by the regiment in the cantonments at Kandahar Afghanistan on 29 May 1842.
On 1 July 1881, the 41st (Welch) Regiment of Foot amalgamated with the 69th (South Lincolnshire) Regiment of Foot to form The Welsh Regiment. The revised spelling of Welch was adopted in 1920.
In June 1969 the Welch Regiment (41st/69th Foot), linked with the South Wales Borderers (24th Foot) to form The Royal Regiment of Wales (24th/41st Foot).
The regiment was in the Crimea (1854-56). It gained battle honours for the Alma, Inkerman and Sevastopol.
27 Mar 1856 In the Collegiate Church of St Paul's Valletta Bachelor CSgt James Gill born in Clayhidon, Devon, son of William and Isabella Gill married Mary Ann Fitzell spinster daughter of Adam and Grace Fitzell, born in Ireland.
The Welsh Regiment
1 July 1881 The 41st Regiment became The 1st Battalion The Welsh Regiment.
The 1st/Welsh Regiment had an average strength of 461 men. It had 376 admissions (815.6/1000 mean strength) into hospital with 2 deaths (4.34/1000 mean strength). 15 invalids returned to England.
Its average constantly sick was 25.02 (54.27/1000 mean strength). The average sick time to each soldier was 19.81 days. The average duration of cases of sickness was 24.29 days.
The 1st/Welsh Regiment was quartered at Floriana and Notre Dame Barracks for 10 months.
14 Nov 1893 The 1st/Welsh Regiment consisting of HQ Coy and 8 companies, 11 officers, 2 officers wives and 5 children, 2 female officer's servants, 2 warrant officers, 35 sergeants, 16 buglers, 422 rank and file, 12 soldier's wives and 9 children, embarked on HMS Himalaya. The men disembarked at Pembroke Dock on 24 November 1893 after 4 years and 3 month sin Malta.
The following were baptised in 1893:
12 AprGeorge Albert Edward Evans born 12 Mar 1893, son of Elizabeth Jane and CSgt Francis William Evans of Floriana.
6 MayRichard Pennefather born 26 Mar 1893, son of Louisa Mary and Capt William Vaughton Pennefather of Floriana.
16 AugLilian Melita Lawler born 16 July 1893, daughter of Madeline Douglas and CSgt John Watson Lawler of Floriana.
The following was buried in 1893:
26 AprWilliam Gough aged 20 years, died at Cottonera and was buried in Rinella Military Cemetery.
Farmer J. S., 1984. The regimental records of the British Army Reprint Edition, Trowbridge, Wiltshire: Crecy Books.
Edwards T. J., 1980. Regimental Badges First Edition, Tonbridge, Kent: Ernest Benn Ltd.
Cannon J., 1990, The Msida Bastion Cemetery Malta. Bucks Cannon Associates.
TNA:WO 379/11. Stations of Regiments 1859–1900.
TNA:WO 156/113. Register of burials September 1853 to June 1862.
TNA:WO 156/115. Register of burials in the military cemetery Rinella from January 1890 to January 1908.
TNA:WO 156/122; List of gravestones at the Military and Civil Cemetery Msida 1801–1865 and the Quarantine Bastion Cemetery 1819–1867 compiled by the Rev D B L Foster Assistant Chaplain General Western Mediterranean in May 1939.
TNA:WO 156/595. No 3, Marriage Register 11 July 1839 to 14 May 1859.