The 41st (Welch) Regiment
The 41st Foot was raised in 1719 from invalids and out-pensioners. In 1741 it was known as the Royal Invalids.
In 1751 the Royal Invalids was numbered 41st in the infantry order of precedence. In 1787 it lost its title of Royal Invalids and became a Regiment of Foot.
In 1831 it was given a territorial affiliation, becoming the 41st (The Welch) Regiment of Foot.
On 3 August 1843, the 41st was granted permission to bear the honour Candahar 1842, in commemoration of the action fought by the regiment in the cantonments at Kandahar Afghanistan on 29 May 1842.
The title of the regiment changed to The Welsh Regiment after the Cardwell Reforms of 1870s.
On 1 July 1881, the 41st (Welsh) Regiment of Foot amalgamated with the 69th (South Lincolnshire) Regiment of Foot to form The Welsh Regiment. The revised spelling of Welch was readopted in 1920.
In June 1969 the Welch Regiment (41st/69th Foot), linked with the South Wales Borderers (24th Foot) to form The Royal Regiment of Wales (24th/41st Foot).
The 41st (Welch) Regiment of Foot
1853 1st/41st (Welch)
16 Feb 1853 The 1st/41st (Welch) Regiment embarked at Corfu on the steam ship Simoon. It had been at Corfu since 11 February 1851. The men disembarked at Malta on 1 March 1853.
13 Oct HQ company moved from Fort Manoel to Floriana Barracks. The rest of the regiment marched from Fort Tigne and Fort Ricasoli to Floriana Barracks.
Baptisms in 1853:
- 17 Mar Jemma Anne Riches born on 17 January 1853, daughter of Elizabeth and Pte Henry Riches.
- 18 Mar Frances Adams born on 14 February 1853, daughter of Frances and Sgt Edward Adams.
- 10 Apr William John French born on 28 March 1853, son of Ann and Pte John French.
- 19 Apr Charles Thomas Griffin born on 11 April 1853, son of Sarah and Pte Charles Griffin.
- 17 Apr William Henry Cunningham born on 27 March 1853, son of Anne and Sgt James Cunningham.
- 23 Apr Catherine Carr born on 7 January 1853, daughter of Catherine and Pte Patrick Carr.
- 21 May Elizabeth May McKinder born on 1 May 1853, daughter of Agnes and School Master William Mills McKinder 41st Regiment.
- 28 May John William Challen born on 8 May 1853, son of Anna and Sgt Thomas Challen.
- 30 May Ann Targett born on 19 May 1853, daughter of Ann and L/Cpl Henry Targett.
- 12 June Boraes Leslie Eman born on 18 May 1853, son of Anna Maria and Maj James Eman.
- 12 June James Cleine born 9 June 1853, son of Mary and Pte James Cleine.
- 12 Sep Thomas Turnbull born on 31 August 1853, son of Mary Anne and Sgt Edwin Turnbull.
- 5 Dec John Spence born on 4 November 1853, son of Catherine and Acting Sgt Maj John Spence.
- 5 Dec Jane McCardle born on 18 October 1853, son of Elizabeth and L/Cpl Thomas McCardle.
Burials in 1853:
- 29 Sep Hannah Elizabeth Barrowdale, daughter of Pte William Barrowdale.
- 10 Oct Edwin Turnbull aged 3 years, son of Sgt Edwin Turnbull.
- 26 Oct Pte William Browne aged 26 years (Military and Civil Cemetery Floriana).
- 24 Dec Pte George Barr aged 26 years, died on 23 December 1853 (Military and Civil Cemetery Floriana).
1854 1st/41st (Welch)
1854 585 men were at Fort Manoel and Floriana Barracks.
On 28 March 1854, Britain declared war on Russia.
Malta 10 Apr The 1st/41st (Welch) Regiment left Malta for the Crimea on the Himalaya.
Nov In November 1854, the regiment had 18 officers and 678 men serving in the Crimea. 100 recruits joined the regiment on 18 November 1854.
Bowel complaints prevailed among them. Its high incidence was ascribed by the surgeon to the cold and wet weather.
Baptisms in 1854:
- 9 Apr Charles O'Hara Smith born on 4 March 1854, son of Ann and CSgt John Smith.
- 9 Apr William Willan born on 19 February 1854, son of Frances and CSgt William Willan.
- 26 May Catherine Alice Maydwell born on 6 May 1854, daughter of Fanny Elizabeth and Maj Henry Law Maydwell.
- 9 Aug Ann Maria Mayon born on 9 June 1854, daughter of Catherine and Pte William Mayon.
Burials in 1854:
- 3 Jan Pte Frederick Ceasor aged 38 years.
- 11 Jan Pte Charles Coulton aged 28 years.
- 7 Feb Pte William Barnett aged 32 years.
- 11 Apr Mary Ann Morgan aged 8 years, daughter of Pte Morgan.
- 3 June Ann Targett aged 12 months, daughter of L/Cpl Henry Targett.
- 1 Aug William French aged 1 year 7 months, son of Pte John French.
- 25 Oct Anne Maria Marrion aged 4 months 2 weeks, daughter of Pte William Marrion.
1855 1st/41st (Welch)
Baptisms in 1855:
- 30 Sep Hannah Merifield born 8 September 1855, daughter of Hannah and Pte John Merifield.
Burials in 1855:
- 7 Feb Christiana George aged 25 years, wife of Sgt John George 41st Regiment (deceased).
- 7 May Pte James Dilworth aged 30 years.
- 4 June Pte Edward Mills aged 40 years.
- 22 Sep Cpl James Holmes 41st Regiment.
1856 1st/41st (Welch)
The regiment was in the Crimea (1854-56). It gained battle honours for the Alma, Inkerman and Sevastopol.
Marriages in 1856:
- 27 Mar In the Collegiate Church of St Paul's Valletta Bachelor CSgt James Gill born in Clayhidon, Devon, son of William and Isabella Gill married Mary Ann Fitzell spinster daughter of Adam and Grace Fitzell, born in Ireland.
The Welsh Regiment
1 July 1881 The 41st Regiment became The 1st Battalion The Welsh Regiment.
24 Aug 1889 The 1st/The Welsh Regiment embarked in Egypt. The men disembarked in Malta on 29 August and marched into Isola Gate Barracks and Polverista Gate Barracks.
It had an average strength of 262 men. It had 159 admissions (606.9/1000 mean strength) into hospital with 1 death (3.82/1000 mean strength). 2 invalids returned to England.
Its average constantly sick was 8.45 (32.25/1000 mean strength). The average sick time to each soldier was 11.77 days. The average duration of cases of sickness was 19.40 days.
The 1st/Welsh Regiment had an average strength of 920 men. It had 545 admissions (592.3/1000 mean strength) into hospital with 7 deaths (7.61/1000 mean strength). 12 invalids returned to England.
Its average constantly sick was 29.09 (31.63/1000 mean strength). The average sick time to each soldier was 11.54 days. The average duration of cases of sickness was 19.48 days.
The 1st/Welsh Regiment was quartered at Isola Gate Cottonera for 11 1/2 months with detachments at Citta Vecchia and Valletta for 2 weeks and Pembroke Camp for 12 months.
Baptisms in 1890:
- 9 Feb William Alfred Toski Hill Crouch born 9 Dec 1889, son of Martha Magdalene and CSgt James Hill Crouch.
- 18 May John Edwin Wooles Graham born 24 Apr 1890, son of Louisa Dorothea and CSgt Charles Samuel Wooles Graham.
Burials in Rinella Military Cemetery in 1890:
- 5 Feb Edward Fabian aged 27 years, died at Cottonera Hospital.
- 15 Mar Valentine Graham aged 1 year 1 month, died at Cottonera.
- 27 May Ewan Lewis aged 22 years drowned.
- 11 Sep John Jones aged 23 years, died at San Francesco de Paola Barracks.
- 6 Nov H Moulder aged 20 years, died at Cottonera Hospital.
Burials in Pietà Military Cemetery in 1890:
- 9 Mar Pte Thomas Keene D Coy aged 26 years, was accidentally shot by a comrade at Pembroke camp.
- 8 Dec Pte George Smith.
The 1st/Welsh Regiment had an average strength of 939 men. It had 649 admissions (691.2/1000 mean strength) into hospital with 2 deaths (2.13/1000 mean strength). 16 invalids returned to England.
Its average constantly sick was 44.28 (47.16/1000 mean strength). The average sick time to each soldier was 17.21 days. The average duration of cases of sickness was 24.90 days.
The 1st/Welsh Regiment was quartered at Floriana and Citta Vecchia for 12 months.
Baptisms in 1891:
- 11 Jan Bertram James McDonald born 18 Oct 1890, son of Emily and Sgt Maj James McDonald.
- 11 Oct Harold George Fenn, son of Mary Jane and Lt and QM William Tittery Fenn of Floriana.
- 16 Dec Maggie May Lawler born 23 Nov 1891, daughter of Madeline Douglas and CSgt John Watson Lawler of Floriana.
Burials in Pietà Military Cemetery in 1891:
- 17 Mar Pte Russell Rees aged 22 years.
- 29 May Valentine Edward J Williams aged 14 weeks.
- 9 June Bertram James McDonald aged 7 months 21 days, son of Sgt Maj James McDonald.
- 5 July Walter H Williams aged 18 weeks.
The 1st/Welsh Regiment had an average strength of 870 men. It had 783 admissions (900/1000 mean strength) into hospital with 5 deaths (5.75/1000 mean strength). 24 invalids returned to England.
Its average constantly sick was 45.08 (54.82/1000 mean strength). The average sick time to each soldier was 18.36 days. The average duration of cases of sickness was 21.07 days.
The 1st/Welsh Regiment was quartered at Floriana and Notre Dame Barracks for 12 months. It had detachments at Citta Vecchia and Marsamxetto Barracks for 7 months.
Baptisms in 1892:
- 16 Mar Ivy Knowles Cranch born 24 Feb 1892, daughter of Martha Matilda and CSgt James Hill Cranch of Floriana.
- 8 Apr Francis William David Evans born 1 Mar 1892, son of Elizabeth Jane and CSgt Francis William Evans of Citta Vecchia.
- 25 May Clarence Albert McDonald born 23 Apr 1892, son of Emily and RSM James McDonald of Floriana.
Burials in Pietà Military Cemetery in 1892:
- 16 Jan R Jones.
- 17 June C Williams aged 26 years.
- 14 July Infant Clarence Albert McDonald aged 9 weeks.
- 31 July Pte William Jackson aged 25 years.
- 30 Aug Bdsm William Ayles aged 20 years.
- 30 Oct Infant Francis William David Evans aged 7 months.
The 1st/Welsh Regiment had an average strength of 461 men. It had 376 admissions (815.6/1000 mean strength) into hospital with 2 deaths (4.34/1000 mean strength). 15 invalids returned to England.
Its average constantly sick was 25.02 (54.27/1000 mean strength). The average sick time to each soldier was 19.81 days. The average duration of cases of sickness was 24.29 days.
The 1st/Welsh Regiment was quartered at Floriana and Notre Dame Barracks for 10 months.
14 Nov 1893 The 1st/Welsh Regiment consisting of HQ Coy and 8 companies, 11 officers, 2 officers wives and 5 children, 2 female officer's servants, 2 warrant officers, 35 sergeants, 16 buglers, 422 rank and file, 12 soldier's wives and 9 children, embarked on HMS Himalaya. The men disembarked at Pembroke Dock on 24 November 1893 after 4 years and 3 month sin Malta.
Baptisms in 1893:
- 12 Apr George Albert Edward Evans born 12 Mar 1893, son of Elizabeth Jane and CSgt Francis William Evans of Floriana.
- 6 May Richard Pennefather born 26 Mar 1893, son of Louisa Mary and Capt William Vaughton Pennefather of Floriana.
- 16 Aug Lilian Melita Lawler born 16 July 1893, daughter of Madeline Douglas and CSgt John Watson Lawler of Floriana.
Burials in Rinella Military Cemetery in 1893:
- 26 Apr William Gough aged 20 years, died at Cottonera.
1933 – 1st/Welsh
Baptisms at the Barracca Garrison Church Valletta in 1933:
- 19 Nov Dennis Ernest Miller born 3 October 1933, son of Edith Mary and CSM William John Miller of Married Quarters Fort Manoel, Sliema.
1935 – 1st/Welsh
Baptisms at the Barracca Garrison Church Valletta in 1935:
- 13 Jan Patricia Mary Miller born 27 November 1934, daughter of Edith Mary and CSM William John Miller of Married Quarters Fort Manoel, Sliema.
The 4th Battalion The Welsh Regiment
1915 – 4th/Welsh
Burials at the New Pietà Military Cemetery in 1915:
- 13 Oct Pte Preston G G aged 18 years.
- Farmer J. S., 1984. The regimental records of the British Army Reprint Edition, Trowbridge, Wiltshire: Crecy Books.
- Edwards T. J., 1980. Regimental Badges First Edition, Tonbridge, Kent: Ernest Benn Ltd.
- Cannon J., 1990, The Msida Bastion Cemetery Malta. Bucks Cannon Associates.
- TNA:WO 379/11. Stations of Regiments 1859–1900.
- TNA:WO 156/113. Register of burials September 1853 to June 1862.
- TNA:WO 156/115. Register of burials in the military cemetery Rinella from January 1890 to January 1908.
- TNA:WO 156/122; List of gravestones at the Military and Civil Cemetery Msida 1801–1865 and the Quarantine Bastion Cemetery 1819–1867 compiled by the Rev D B L Foster Assistant Chaplain General Western Mediterranean in May 1939.
- TNA:WO 156/595. No 3, Marriage Register 11 July 1839 to 14 May 1859.