Surgeon Edward Tegart
? — ?
20 May 1793 Hospital Mate.
10 Dec 1794 Surgeon 30th (Cambridgeshire) Regiment of Foot.
Apr 1796 On leave from his regiment since 20 March 1796.
23 May 1798 Served in the suppression of the Irish Rebellion of 1798, which resulted in the 1801 Act of Union. The 30th formed part of the Bandon garrison, 15 miles South West of Cork.
1798 Embarked for Minorca from Ireland, from where he left immediately for Sicily and thence to Malta.
Malta Dec 1799 Landed with his regiment at St Paul's Bay Malta. Served during the blockade and reduction of the island.
Malta 3 Apr 1800 Appointed by Brig–Gen Thomas Graham, Staff Surgeon to the General Hospital at Zejtun. In charge of the Surgical Division of the General Hospital Zejtun which opened in February 1800. Held the post of senior surgeon at Malta until 24 September 1802, when at the end of the French Revolutionary Wars many staff officers were discharged on half pay.
His pay was £14 11s 11d for 31 days.
July 1800 Listed as being sick in the returns of 25 June to 24 July 1800.
Malta 1801 In charge of the surgical division of the Military Hospital Valletta.
Malta June 1802 Embarked for England on reduction of the army, and was reduced to half-pay on 24 September 1802. Officers were eligible to receive half-pay of rank after completion of three years foreign service or five years home service.
22 July 1803 Recalled to full-pay on the outbreak of the Napoleonic Wars.
31 Aug 1803 Received his first payment of £90 7s 6d in prize money from the proceeds of the property captured on the island of Malta on 4 September 1800.
26 July 1804 Received his second payment of £33 2s 6d in prize money from the proceeds of the property captured on the island of Malta on 4 September 1800.
1805 Served at Hannover.
1807 Served at Copenhagen.
1808–1813 Served in the Peninsular War.
25 Mar 1809 Deputy Inspector of Hospitals.
6 July 1810 Received his third payment £3 2s 2d in prize money from the proceeds of the property captured on the island of Malta on 4 September 1800.
16 Jan 1812 Received his final share worth £2 3s 3d in prize money from the proceeds of the property captured on the island of Malta on 4 September 1800.
25 Mar 1821 Served in West Indies with local rank of Inspector of Hospitals.
17 Mar 1823 Received the payment of £3 2s 2d from Reserved Shares accumulated from the proceeds of the property captured in Malta on 4 September 1800.
25 Mar 1824 Inspector of Hospitals.
24 Nov 1824 Retired.
1 July 1838 One of twenty two Inspectors General on half pay. Total Service: 45 years 1 month, Total Full Pay Service: 25 years 0 months.
- Entry No: 1354. Johnston W. Roll of Commissioned Offices in the Medical Service of the British Army. Vol 1 (20 June 1727-23 June 1898), Aberdeen (1917).
- TNA:WO 25/3897, Records of Service - Officers of the Medical Department (1790–1847).
- TNA:WO 25/3909, Service Returns.
- TNA:WO 17/137, Monthly Returns 30 Foot, Apr 1796.
- TNA:WO 12/4564, General Muster Books and Pay lists 1st/30th Foot 1798–1799.
- TNA:WO 12/4565, General Muster Books and Pay lists 1st/30th Foot 1800–1801.
- TNA:WO 164/503, Malta 1800, Prize Records Royal Hospital Chelsea first and second payments (1804–1808).
- TNA:WO 164/134, Malta 1800, Prize Records Royal Hospital Chelsea first and second payments (1811–1840).