Assistant Surgeon Robert William Troup
MA (St And 1859) MB (1863)
3 May 1841 – 28 Mar 1898 [Dover]
30 Sep 1863 Staff Assistant Surgeon.
1864–1865 Served with the Royal Artillery in the left column Dooar Field Force of the Bhutan Expedition, and was present at the capture of Fort Dalimkote and Stockades of Nagoo and Chamoorchie.
21 Feb 1865 Appointed Assistant Surgeon 54th (West Norfolk) Regiment of Foot, vice Assistant Surgeon Charles Bartholomew Mathew, who became Staff Assistant Surgeon on the appointment of Staff Assistant Surgeon Christopher John Weir to the 90th Foot. Weir replaced Assistant Surgeon Edward Joseph Crane 90th Foot, who in turn replaced Staff Assistant Surgeon Thomas Stawell Barry, who moved to the Royal Artillery.
9 June 1865 Staff Assistant Surgeon.
1 Sep 1865 Assistant Surgeon 42nd Royal Highland (The Black Watch) Regiment of Foot.
1 Mar 1873 Promoted Surgeon.
1874 Served in the Ashanti War, when he was present with the 42nd Highlanders at the battle of Amoaful, capture of Becquah, battle of Ordahsu, and capture of Coomassie.
27 Nov 1874 Arrived from England.
1875 On regimental duties.
29 Mar 1876 Left for Gibraltar.
28 Apr 1876 Promoted Surgeon–Major.
5 Aug 1882–26 Apr 1883 Served in Egypt. Was present at the action at Kassasin on 28 August and at the battle of Tel-El-Kebir.
10 July 1888 The London Gazette announced his promotion to Brigade–Surgeon, ranking as Lieutenant Colonel, vice James Paxton MD retired. This was, however, cancelled and Surgeon–Major Troup was instead granted retired pay.
Aug 1888 Arrived from Gibraltar.
26 Sep 1888 Retired.
- Entry No: 6074. Johnston W. Roll of Commissioned Offices in the Medical Service of the British Army. Vol 1 (20 June 1727-23 June 1898), Aberdeen (1917).
- Succession Book Vol 12. Returns of service of medical officers in the Regular Army.
- Naval and Military Medical Services Br Med J (1888), 103 (Published 14 July 1888).
- Naval and Military Medical Services Br Med J (1888), 454 (Published 25 August 1888).
- Naval and Military Medical Services Br Med J (1888), 738 (Published 29 September 1888).