1396 Surgeon Major Richard William O'Donnell
LM (1871) KQCPI LRCSI (1871)
17 Apr 1850 [Carrick-on-Suir Co Tipperary] – 1 July 1889 [London]
Surgeon Major Richard William O'Donnell qualified in Ireland in 1871. He entered the Army Medical Service as an Assistant Surgeon in March 1872.
He served with the Nile Expedition in 1884–85, where he was in charge of the hospital at Aswan, and with the River Column. He was awarded the medal with clasp, and the Khedive's bronze star. He was invalided to England from Cairo.
Surgeon Major Richard William O'Donnell died in London on 1 July 1889, aged 39 years.
30 Mar 1872 Gazetted Staff Assistant Surgeon.
1872 – 1877 On duty in Bengal.
1 Mar 1873 Promoted Surgeon.
Apr 1878 Moved to Colchester.
1878 – 1880 On duty in Colchester.
4 June 1880 Arrived at Malta from England.
May 1881 Embarked for Gibraltar.
1881 – 1882 On duty in Gibraltar.
30 Mar 1884 Surgeon–Major.
1884 – 1885 Served with the Nile Expedition in charge of the hospital at Aswan, and with the River Column. He fell ill and left Aswan on 26 March 1885. In May 1885, he was invalided to England from Cairo.
Jan 1886 On arrival in India from England was tasked to do general duty under the orders of the Deputy Surgeon General of Her Majesty's Forces, Eastern District Madras.
Apr 1886 Appointed Senior Medical Officer Station Hospital Toungoo.
Mar 1887 While serving in the Madras command passed the colloquial portion of the elementary examination in Burmese.
13 Oct 1888 Placed on half-pay.
1 July 1889 Died in London, aged 39 years.
- Entry No: 6518. Johnston W. Roll of Commissioned Offices in the Medical Service of the British Army. Vol 1 (20 June 1727-23 June 1898), Aberdeen (1917).
- RAMC/PE/3/27/Drew. Manuscript for Drew's Roll.
- Succession Book Vol 15. Returns of service of medical officers in the Regular Army.
- Naval and Military Medical Services Br Med J (1886), 849 (Published 1 May 1886).
- Naval and Military Medical Services Br Med J (1887), 701 (Published 26 March 1887).
- Naval and Military Medical Services Br Med J (1887), 328 (Published 6 August 1887).
- Naval and Military Medical Services Br Med J (1889), 106 (Published 13 July 1889).