799 Assistant Surgeon John Adsetts
MRCS (Eng 1858) LSAL (1858)
29 July 1835 [Turnditch Derbyshire] – 18 Jan 1896 [Derby]
13 June 1859 Appointed Assistant Surgeon to the Forces. On duty at Woolwich.
1860 On duty at Guernsey.
1 June 1860 Appointed Assistant Surgeon Royal Artillery. Served with 2nd Bde 10th Bty RA at Montreal and Malta (1868–1873).
Malta 28 Dec 1867 Arrived from Canada.
Malta 20 Feb 1868 To England on leave.
1 June 1868 Returned from leave.
Malta 1869 On duty with his regiment.
Malta 30 Aug 1870 On leave.
5 Sept 1870 Returned from leave.
Malta 1 Jan 1871 Listed in the Malta Almanac as being on duty on the island.
Malta 8 Jan 1872 To England on a medical certificate.
Apr 1873 Moved from the Royal Artillery to the Medical Staff at Ballincollig County Cork.
1874 On duty at Newbridge County Kildare as medical officer 2nd/23rd Foot.
Oct 1874 Sailed in the Tamar for Gibraltar.
16 Dec 1874 Promoted Surgeon-Major.
13 Apr 1875 At Gibraltar, death of Fanny aged 19 years, wife of Surgeon Major John Adsetts 23rd Royal Welsh Fusiliers, from typhoid fever. She was the only daughter of Edward Fayrer esq of HM Military Store Staff.
4 June 1876 Reduced to half-pay after 17 years' full-pay service.
18 Jan 1896 Died at 35, Osmaston Road Derby, aged 59 years.
- Drew R., 1968. Entry No: 5889. Medical Officers in the British Army 1660 – 1960. Volume 1: 1660 – 1898. London: Wellcome Historical Medical Library.
- RAMC/PE/3/27/Drew. Manuscript for Drew's Roll.
- TNA:WO 25/3901, Records of Service – Officers of the Medical Department (1790–1847).
- The Malta Almanac for 1871.
- Succession Book Vol 11, Returns of service of medical officers in the Regular Army.