The 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment
The 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment was raised at Winchester in 1823, and was completed on 10 February 1824.
In April 1824, the 95th embarked on its first posting to Malta, where it was presented with its First Colours by the Marchioness of Hastings.
In November 1825, the 95th received its affiliation with the county of Derbyshire to become The 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment of Foot.
On 1 July 1881, the 95th merged with the 45th (1st Nottinghamshire–Sherwood Foresters) Regiment to form The 2nd Battalion The Sherwood Foresters (Derbyshire Regiment). The 45th became the 1st Battalion
The Maltese Cross, oak wreath, and stag are derived from the badge of the 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment. The Royal Stags formed the Supporters to the Arms of the City of Nottingham. The oak wreath derives from the old Nottinghamshire Militia which had an oak wreath in its badge in allusion to Sherwood Forest.
The 45th was raised in 1741. It was numbered 45th Foot in 1751, to which the title Nottinghamshire was added in 1782. In 1866, the regimental title changed to the 45th (Nottinghamshire–Sherwood Foresters) Regiment.
The 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment
1824 95th (Derbyshire)
27 Apr 1824 A detachment of 350 men arrived from England. It relieved the 18th Foot which embarked for the Ionian Islands. The rest of the 95th arrived on 7 June 1824.
7 June–Sep All regiments arriving in Malta during the summer were prone to suffer greatly from sand fly fever. The 95th Regiment had 294 febrile cases of phlebotomus fever, which rendered it inefficient. It was unable to provide men for guard duty for the first ten months after its arrival in Malta.
Marriages in 1824:
- 16 Oct Bachelor Sgt George Broyd married Ann Austin, widow of Sgt Thomas Austin 95th Regiment.
Baptisms in 1824:
- 7 July Janet Scotland Cusine daughter of Lt John Cusine and Isabella, born on 21 May 1824.
- 11 July Andrew Thom son of Sgt James Thom and Jane, born on 1 July.
- 19 Sep Elizabeth Jenkins daughter of Sgt John Jenkins and Elizabeth, born on 25 August 1824.
- 3 Oct Isabella McElwee daughter of Cpl James McElwee and Rachel, born on 27 September.
Burials in 1824:
- 5 May Robert McElwee aged 2 years, son of Act/Cpl James McElwee.
- 15 May Pte Robert Ellis aged 20 years.
- 9 June Sgt George Earllem aged 31 years.
- 18 June Pte Thomas Woodward aged 26 years.
- 2 July Capt William Martin Yorke aged 30 years, was buried in the Quarantine Bastion Cemetery, Floriana. He became a captain 95th Regiment of Fo0t on 1 December 1823 following the embodiment of the regiment. He held the brevet rank of major in the army from 10 July 1823. In May 1816, he became a lieutenant in the 65th (2nd Yorkshire North Riding) Regiment and in November 1817 moved to the 17th Leicestershire Regiment.
- 12 Aug Pte John Beek aged 20 years.
- 30 Aug Pte John Jobbett aged 18 years.
- 2 Sep Sgt Thomas Austin aged 42 years.
- 12 Sep Pte John Harrison aged 18 years.
- 18 Sep Pte John Berry aged 19 years.
- 11 Oct Pte Robert Hodgetts aged 17 years.
- 15 Oct Pte Edward Johnstone aged 18 years.
- 17 Oct Pte Henry Yea aged 17 years.
1825 95th (Derbyshire)
Nov 1825 The 95th was associated with the county of Derbyshire for recruitment.
Baptisms in 1825:
- 30 Jan George Henry Radford son of Pte John and Charlotte Radford, born on 14 December 1824.
- 6 Feb Mary Anne Timmins daughter of Pte John and Bridget Timmins, born on 1 February 1825.
- 10 Apr William John son of Anne and Sgt John John, born on 26 March.
- 1 May Edward Smith son of Sgt Robert and Sarah Smith, born on 13 April.
- 5 June Eliza Anne Burgess daughter of Pte Thomas Burgess and Jane, born on 22 October 1824.
- 10 July Robert Hodge son of Sgt Robert Hodge and Catherine, born on 27 June 1825.
- 23 Oct Elizabeth Maria Sophia Anne Mills daughter of Sgt John George Mills and Lydia, born on 15 October.
Burials in 1825:
- 12 Jan Pte Joseph Laws aged 19 years, was buried in the Quarantine Bastion Cemetery, Floriana.
- 29 Jan Pte Thomas Kerby aged 21 years.
- 25 Jan John Cusine aged 2 years, son of Lt John Cusine. Lt J Cusine became a lieutenant in the 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment on 1 December 1823.
- 27 Mar Pte Thomas Girdler.
- 28 Sep Elizabeth Jenkins aged 1 year, daughter of John Jenkins.
- 24 Oct Joseph Taylor aged 18 months, son of Sgt Richard Taylor.
1826 95th (Derbyshire)
1826 Strength: 523 men.
On 31 July 1826, the conversion of the Floriana Market House into a new officers' barracks was completed. On 1 August 1826, they were handed over to the Barrack Master and occupied by the officers of the 95th Regiment.
Marriages in 1826:
- 13 Jan Bachelor QM Francis Feneran to Anne Emilia Dowdall, widow of the late Brevet Major Patrick Dowdall 31st Regiment. F Feneran served at Waterloo. He became QM 95th (Derbyshire) Regt on 1 Dec 1823. Capt P Dowdall became a brevet major in the army on 26 Dec 1813. He died in 1822/23.
- 27 Apr Bachelor School Master Sgt Thomas Hawkes to Barbara Twyford, a spinster from Dublin.
- 4 June Bachelor CSgt James Murray to Maria Kingswell, a spinster daughter of James Kingswell, Blockmaker in the Naval Arsenal, of the Parish of St Nicholas Deptford in the County of Kent.
Baptisms in 1826:
- 29 Jan Mary Elizabeth Reed daughter of Sgt Charles George Reed and Mary Anne, born on 15 January 1826.
- 12 Mar John Jenkins son of Sgt John Jenkins and Elizabeth, born on 26 February.
- 16 May Timothy Holland son of Cpl Andrew Holland and Jane, born on 1 April 1826 was publicly received into the church on 16 July.
- 25 May Jane Burgess daughter of Pte Thomas Burgess and Jane, born on 25 May.
- 11 June Joseph Bailey son of Sgt Joseph Bailey and Mary Ann, born on 2 June.
- 9 July William Thom son of Sgt James Thom and Jane, born on 18 June.
- 6 Sep Private baptism of Thomas Browne Feneran son of QM Francis Feneran and Anne Emilia, born on 24 August 1826.
Burials in 1826:
- 29 Mar Pte George Taylor aged 20 years.
- 15 June Jane Burgess aged 20 days, daughter of Pte Thomas Burgess.
- 22 July Cpl Henry Kearney aged 27 years.
- 17 Aug Mary Elizabeth Reed aged 7 months, daughter of Sgt Charles Reed.
- 21 Oct Pte James Cooper aged 29 years.
- 23 Oct Timothy Holland aged 6 months, son of Pte Andrew Holland.
- 7 Nov Pte John Shelleker aged 21 years.
- 21 Nov Pte Andrew Holland aged 25 years.
1827 95th (Derbyshire)
25 Oct Strength: Rank and File (Effective) 523, Rank and File (Establishment) 516.
Marriages in 1827:
- 23 July Widower Pte Samuel Procter to Mary Ann Regazzo, spinster daughter of Gaetano Regazzo, Assistant Provost Sgt in the Cottonera District.
Baptisms in 1827:
- 25 Feb Thomas Fitzgerald Hawkes son of School Master Sgt Thomas Hawkes and Barbara, born on 24 January 1827.
- 29 Mar William Rafter son of Paymaster Michael Rafter and Catherine Amelia, born on 17 February.
M Rafter became Paymaster 95th (Derbyshire) Regt on 24 June 1824.
- 16 June Elizabeth Ellis daughter of Sgt Maj Anthony Ellis and Susannah, born on 31 May.
- 15 July George Hodge son of CSgt Robert Hodge and Catherine, born on 1 July.
- 21 Oct John John son of Sgt John John and Anne, born on 14 October 1827 and publicly admitted into the church on 28 October.
- 22 Oct James Thomas Fraser son of Capt James Fraser and Margaret, born on 2 September.
Burials in 1827:
- 15 May William Thom aged 11 months, son of Sgt James Thom.
- 16 Aug Pte Philip Lovejoy aged 21 years was buried at the Quarantine Bastion Cemetery Floriana.
- 22 Aug Pte Samuel Smart aged 22 years.
- 22 Aug John Jenkins aged 17 months, son of John Jenkins.
- 25 Oct Anne John aged 29 years, wife of Sgt John John.
- 7 Nov John John aged 25 days, son of Sgt John John.
- 12 Nov Lt Col Alexander Campbell WyllyCB aged 39 years, commanding 95th Regiment, was buried at the Quarantine Bastion Cemetery Floriana (Grave 57 No 2).
- 6 Dec Thomas Hawkes aged 10 months, son of School master Sgt Hawkes.
1828 95th (Derbyshire)
25 Aug 1828 Strength: 492 men (6 coys).
Baptisms in 1828:
- 29 Jan John Augustus Feneran son of QM Francis Feneran and Anne Emilia, born on 1 December 1827.
- 28 Feb Emily Melita Dickens daughter of Capt George Mordaunt Dickens and Emily Charlotte, born on 28 January 1828.
- 27 Apr Charles Thom son of CSgt James Thom and Jane, born on 15 April.
- 18 May Lindley James Murray son of CSgt James Murray and Maria, born on 26 April.
- 16 Nov John Hawkes son of School Master Sgt Thomas Hawkes and Barbara, born on 4 November.
- 24 Nov George Hamilton Gordon son of Lt Robert Cumming Hamilton Gordon and Frances, born on 5 November 1828. He was publicly received into the church on 20 April 1829.
Burials in 1828:
- 26 Jan Pte John Jackson aged 24 years (Military and Civil Cemetery Floriana).
- 28 Jan Sgt Charles Reed aged 38 years (Military and Civil Cemetery Floriana).
- 24 Apr Pte Patrick Gayner aged 32 years.
- 13 June Pte James Rawlings aged 22 years.
- 3 July Pte John Farish aged 22 years.
- 4 July Elizabeth Ellis aged 14 months, daughter of Sgt Maj A Ellis.
- 7 July William Rafter aged 16 months, son of Paymaster Michael Rafter.
- 25 July Louisa Evans aged 10 months, daughter of Joseph Evans.
- 27 July CSgt Robert Hodge aged 32 years (Quarantine Bastion Cemetery Floriana).
- 5 Aug Mary Anne Timmons aged 3 years, daughter of Pte John Timmons.
- 7 Aug Pte John Timmons aged 27 years.
- 12 Aug Pte John Brown aged 21 years.
1829 95th (Derbyshire)
Dec 1829 The 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment embarked for Corfu.
Marriages in 1829:
- 21 Mar Bachelor CSgt John Brown to Judith Leeson, spinster of the Parish of St Helier, Jersey.
- 24 Aug Bachelor Ensign John Wardle of the Parish of Daventry in the County of Northampton, to Theresa Josephine Zimelli, spinster of the Parish of St Maria di Porto Salvo, Valletta Malta. J Wardle became an ensign 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment on 17 May 1827.
- 27 Oct Bachelor Cpl Edward Beer to Mary Anne Kingswell, spinster daughter of James Kingswell, Blockmaker in the Naval Arsenal, of the Parish of St Nicholas Deptford, Kent. Mary Anne was the sister of Sarah who on 29 June 1829 married CSgt Samuel Ransley 2nd/Rifle Brigade.
Baptisms in 1829:
- 9 Aug Maria Louisa Murray daughter of CSgt James Murray and Maria, born on 21 July 1829.
- 16 Aug Edward Michael Kilfoyle son of Hospital Sgt Timothy Kilfoyle and Elizabeth, born on 6 August.
- 5 Sep Susannah Maria Wilhelmina Feneran daughter of QM Francis Feneran and Anne Emilia, born on 18 March.
F. Feneran served at Waterloo. He became Quarter Master 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment on 1 December 1823.
- 23 Oct Henry Rafter son of Paymaster Michael Rafter and Catherine Amelia, born on 20 September.
Burials in 1829:
- 1 Feb Sgt John Jenkins aged 28 years.
- 4 Mar Pte John Close aged 21 years.
- 11 July John Augustus Feneran aged 16 months, son of QM Sgt Francis Feneran.
- 9 Nov Pte Isaac Wyles aged 22 years.
- 22 Dec Ensign Richard Arthur Fortescue Northey aged 19 years. He became an ensign 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment on 7 August 1828.
1830 95th (Derbyshire)
8 Jan 1830 The 2nd Division consisting of 173 men embarked for Corfu.
Burials in 1830:
- 23 Aug 1830 Sgt John Jones aged 28 years.
The 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment
1854 95th (Derbyshire)
14 Apr 1854 The 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment arrived from England on its way to the Crimea.
Burials in 1854:
- 3 Dec Pte Thomas Burken.
- 4 Dec Mary Anne Dempsy aged 6 weeks, daughter of Pte Dempsy.
1855 95th (Derbyshire)
Burials in 1855:
- 4 Jan 1855 Pte William Rodgers.
1856 95th (Derbyshire)
- Farmer J. S., 1984. The regimental records of the British Army Reprint Edition, Trowbridge, Wiltshire: Crecy Books.
- Edwards T. J., 1980. Regimental Badges First Edition, Tonbridge, Kent: Ernest Benn Ltd.
- Badges of H M Services. Briggs and Co Ltd, Manchester.
- Cannon J., 1990, The Quarantine Bastion Cemetery Malta. Bucks Cannon Associates.
- TNA:WO 156/122; List of gravestones at the Military and Civil Cemetery 1801–1865 and the Quarantine Bastion Cemetery 1819–1867 compiled by the Rev D B L Foster Assistant Chaplain General Western Mediterranean in May 1939.
- TNA:WO 156/113. Register of burials September 1853 to June 1862.
- TNA:WO 156/594. No 2, Marriage Register 1 January 1820 to 12 June 1839.
- TNA:WO 156/594. No 2, Baptism Register 2 January 1820 to 29 June 1839.