38 Mary Dorothea Murray
MA MB ChB (St And 1910)
15 Oct 1883 – ?
In May 1916, Dr Louisa Aldrich-Blake, Surgeon at the Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Hospital and Dean of the London School of Medicine for Women, approached all the women on the Medical Register asking them to say if they would be willing to serve with the Royal Army Medical Corps. From the replies received, 48 lady doctors were enrolled. The first 22 medical women embarked for Malta on 2 August 1916; another 16 lady doctors embarked on the Hospital Ship (H.S.) Gloucester Castle on 12 August 1916.
The Director General Army Medical Services, Sir Alfred Keogh, was responsible for employing medical women and for dealing with illnesses among them. Women doctors, also referred to as lady doctors, were classed as civilian surgeons attached to the RAMC. Women serving as full time doctors in the Army and doing precisely the same work as their male colleagues had neither military rank nor status, but received the same pay, rations, travelling allowances and gratuity as temporary commissioned male officers of the Royal Army Medical Corps. A uniform was not introduced until after April 1918. This was similar in appearance to that worn by the Queen Mary's Auxiliary Army Corps (QMAAC) but with an RAMC badge on both lapels.
In October 1916, on hearing from the War Office that fifty more medical women were needed for service with the RAMC in English hospitals, Aldrich-Blake again negotiated with all the women who had qualified in the preceding ten years, and secured the requisite number in a very short time. On 20 October 1916, eleven medical women embarked on H.S. Britannic for Malta.
The casualties from operations in Gallipoli (25 April 1915 – 9 January 1916), and Salonica (October 1915 – 30 September 1918), were initially treated in Malta and Egypt, but in 1917, submarine attacks on hospital ships made it unsafe to evacuate from Salonica and five General Hospitals, Nos 61, 62, 63, 64 and 65, mobilized in Malta for service in Salonica to which the medical women were attached.
Between August 1916 and July 1917, eighty two lady doctors served in war hospitals in Malta. They worked alongside their RAMC colleagues and carried out all but administrative duties. Their assistance was very highly appreciated. Their work was recognized in the King's Birthday Honours list of June 1918 when Dr Barbara Martin Cunningham MB ChB, Military Hospital Mtarfa, Mrs Katharine Rosebery Drinkwater MB BS, in charge of Military Families Staff and Department Malta and Miss May Thorne MD, in charge of Sisters' Hospital and Staff Department Malta, were awarded the Order of the British Empire for services rendered during the war.
Dr Mary Dorothea Murray was the eldest daughter of the Rev. John Murray, of Cupar, Fife. She received her medical education at the University of St Andrews and qualified MB ChB in 1910. She held the post of Assistant Medical Officer Union Infirmary, Leeds. The Infirmary was built in 1874 alongside the Leeds Union Workhouse. In 1915, both workhouse and infirmary were taken over by the War Office as the East Leeds War Hospital.
July 1916 Contracted to work for 12 months as a Civilian Surgeon attached to the RAMC. Her salary was 24 shillings a day including allowances, but excluding duty transport. A gratuity of £60 was awarded at the end of the contract, provided employment was not terminated for misconduct. The majority of the medical women were invited to renew their contracts at the expiry of their first year's work.
12 Aug 1916 Embarked from Southampton for Malta on the Hospital Ship (H.S.) Gloucester Castle as part of the Women's Medical Unit RAMC.
29 June 1917 Attached to St David's Hospital which mobilized as No 62 General Hospital for duty with the British Salonica Force. Miss D. M. Alban QAIMNS was matron of the hospital.
2 July 1917 Dr M. D. Murray embarked at the Custom House Valletta on HMT ship Abbassieh with the staff of No 62 General Hospital. The medical officers and medical women embarking on the transport were:
- Major Charles Henry Carr o/ic
- Captain B H Leigh
- Captain E G B Starkie
- Captain D Glen
- Captain W C Gore
- Captain R J Morgan
- Lt (QM) J W Piercy
- Edith Blake Hollway
- Lillie Josephine Murphy
- Annie Grange Fergus
- Mary Josephine Ahern
- Elizabeth Stevenson Walker
- Rose Lillian Humphrey Davy
- Elizabeth Taylor Gilchrist
- Mary Dorothea Murray
4 July 1917 HMT ship Abbassieh sailed out of the Grand Harbour. She was escorted by HMS Aster and HMS Azalea. HMS Aster struck a mine and sunk eleven miles off Malta with the loss of ten lives. HMS Azalea also struck a mine as she went to the aid of the stricken ship. The transports returned to Malta and anchored in Marsaxlokk Harbour.
6 July 1917 HMT Ship Abbassieh sailed out of Marsaxlokk Harbour. She arrived at Suda Bay Crete on 9 July and in Salonica, (Thessalonika) Harbour, on 11 July. The medical women were transferred to the H.S. Llandovery Castle, while the men marched to Karaissi Rest Camp. No 62 General Hospital was erected in Uchantar Convalescent Camp to the east of No 61 General Hospital. The site was about 12 km from Salonica and a mile east of the Monastir road.
21 July 1917 Eight medical women who had been transferred to H.S. Llandovery Castle reported for duty.
1 Oct 1917 Dr M. D. Murray was admitted to No 43 General Hospital as an inpatient. She returned to 62 General Hospital on 28 Oct 1917, on convalescing.
4 Nov 1917 Doctors E. T. Gilchrist, M. D. Murray and E. S. Walker, from No 62 General Hospital, reported for duty with No 64 General Hospital.
6 Nov 1917 Closure of No 62 General Hospital, which left Salonica for Taranto, Italy.
12 Dec 1917 Closure of No 64 General Hospital. Six medical women, (H. G. Johnson, E. M. Edwards, M. D. Murray, M. G. Ormiston, E. M. Layman and E. S. Walker), were posted to No 49 Stationary Hospital; Doctor J. P. Walton was posted to No 41 General Hospital. No 64 General hospital re-opened on 17 April 1918.
30 Sept 1918 – 31 Oct 1919 On duty in Egypt.
31 Oct 1919 Demobilized in Egypt.
18 Dec 1919 Was married at the British Embassy Chapel, Constantinople by the Rev. Lieut Colonel J. L. Findlay DSO to Major Chalmers Nicol RASC, son of Alexander Nicol of St Helens, Aberfeldy.
The Medical Directory of 1923 lists her address as the North Riding County Asylum, Clifton, York.
- No 38 (24/M/2555), Army Book No 82. Record of Special Reserve Officer's Service (Records of 132 Lady Doctors).
- Obituary, Louisa Aldrich-Blake. Br Med J (1926); 1: 69 (Published 9 January 1926).
- Macpherson W. G., 1921. History of The Great War, Medical Services General History, Vol I, Chap XIII, The Medical Services in the Mediterranean Garrison pp. 235-248. HMSO London.
- Leneman L., Medical women in the First World War - ranking nowhere. Br Med J (1993); 10: 1592 (Published 18 December 1993).
- Leneman L., Medical Women at war 1914-1918. Medical History 1994, 38: 160-177.
- Fairfield L., Medical Women in the Forces. Part I Women Doctors in the British Forces 1914 - 1918 War. Journal of the Medical Women Federation 49. 1967; p 99.
- Mitchell A. M., Medical Women and the Medical services of the First World War.
- SA/MWF/CI 59. Medical Women Federation, (Wellcome Institute for the History of Medicine). Status of medical women under the War Office.
- Women doctors. Hansard House of Commons Debate 2 July 1918; 107: cc1555–6.
- Reports of Societies. Womens' service in Malta with the RAMC. Br Med J (1919); 2 : 634, (Published 15 November 1919).
- The Medical Directory 1923, 79th Issue. London J. & A. Churchill.
- TNA:WO 95/4257, (November 1917 – May 1919). War Diaries No 62 General Hospital.
- TNA:WO 95/4936, (May – Oct 1917). War Diaries No 62 General Hospital.
- TNA:WO 95/4936, (June 1917 – January 1919). War Diaries No 64 General Hospital.
- Mann A. J., 1920 The Salonica Front A and C Black Ltd London.