No 129 Surgeon Major George William Powell LRCSI (1847)
29 July 1818 – 15 Sep 1892 [London]
Deputy-Surgeon-General George William Powell entered the service as an Assistant Surgeon in August 1844. He became Surgeon, on 28 March 1854 and Surgeon-Major in September 1865. He retired on half pay, with the honorary rank of Deputy-Surgeon-General on 4 October 1873.
Deputy-Surgeon-General George William Powell died suddenly on 15 September 1892. His widow died on 17 August 1919, aged 79 years at Boulogne-sur-Mere.
20 Aug 1844 Assistant Surgeon 1st West India Regiment.
13 Dec 1844 Appointed Staff Assistant Surgeon vice James MacGregor promoted Staff Surgeon of the Second Class, on the death of Staff Surgeon Duncan McGregor at Gibraltar.
3 Apr 1849 Assistant Surgeon 34th (Cumberland) Regiment of Foot.
28 Mar 1854 Promoted Staff Surgeon of the 2nd Class from 34th Regiment.
1854 – 1855 Served in Turkey.
9 May 1856 Reduced to half-pay.
10 June 1857 Recalled to full-pay and was sent to China.
1858 In China.
1859 In London and Chatham.
1860 – 1863 Served in the Cape.
1864 At Preston and the Cape.
1865 – 1866 Served in the Cape.
27 Sep 1865 Promoted Surgeon Major Army Medical Department having completed twenty years' full-pay service in accordance with the Royal Warrant of 1 October 1858.
Malta 3 Dec 1867 Arrived from England.
Malta 1868 Staff Surgeon.
Malta 1869 Staff Surgeon. On duty at Citta Vecchia.
Malta 1 Jan 1870 On duty at Citta Vecchia.
Malta 1 Mar 1870 On duty at Citta Vecchia.
Malta 1 July 1870 On leave.
Malta 21 Sep 1870 Absent from Malta.
Malta 1871 On duty at the Sanatorium Citta Vecchia.
Malta 1872 Staff Surgeon. On duty at Valletta.
Malta 23 Feb 1873 Left Malta.
4 Oct 1873 Retired to half-pay with the honorary rank of Deputy Surgeon General. The vacancy thus created, was filled by Surgeon Francis Edward McFarland who was promoted Surgeon Major.
- Drew R., 1968. Entry No: 4784. Medical Officers in the British Army 1660 – 1960. Volume 1: 1660 – 1898. London: Wellcome Historical Medical Library.
- RAMC/PE/3/27/Drew. Manuscript for Drew's Roll.
- TNA:CO 158/223, Returns of the General and Staff officers of the hospitals attached to the Forces in Malta (Apr–July 1870).
- Succession Book Vol 4. Returns of service of medical officers in the Regular Army.
- TNA:CO 158/218, Malta Original Correspondence, Returns of Staff Officers Malta Garrison (Jan–May 1869).
- Naval and Military Medical Services Br Med J (1892), 2; 771; (Published 1 October 1892).