744 Surgeon Major Alfred Lewer
MRCS (Eng 1858) LSAL (1859) LRCP (Ed 1860)
20 Apr 1837 [Wimborne Dorset] – 29 Sep 1923 [London]
Surgeon Major Alfred Lewer was educated at King's College London. He took the Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1858, the Licentiate of the Society of Apothecaries in 1859 and the Licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh in 1860. He entered the Army Medical Department as an assistant surgeon in 1858.
Surgeon Major Alfred Lewer served in the Royal Artillery until the regimental system was abolished. He was with the Royal Artillery at Ahmedabad, Dreba (1866–1869) and Bangalore. He became a surgeon major on 21 January 1874, and retired from the services on 23 May 1891.
1 Dec 1858 Staff Assistant Surgeon.
11 Jan 1859 Appointed Assistant Surgeon Royal Artillery. Served with 14th Bde and 9th Bde between 1862 and 1866.
Apr 1863 Published a
case of aneurysm of the thoracic aorta resulting from secondary syphilis in a driver of A Battery 14th Bde Royal Artillery stationed at Bangalore. (Army Medical Department Report (1862) vol 4; 512, London (1864).
29 Dec 1869 Appointed Staff Assistant Surgeon vice Staff Assistant Surgeon Francis John Shortt promoted to the Staff.
1870 Moved to Newport.
Malta 11 June 1871 Arrived from England on appointment. On duty at Cottonera.
Malta 10 Sep 1871 Had a son Henry, who died at Malta on 21 October 1871, and was buried at Ta' Braxia Cemetery Pieta.
Malta 1872 On duty at Pembroke Camp.
Malta 1873 On garrison duty.
1873 Published a
case of peculiar susceptibility to iodine. Army Medical Department Report vol 15 1873.
Malta 21 Jan 1874 Promoted Surgeon Major vice Surgeon Major Colin Matheson Milne Miller who retired upon half-pay.
Malta 8 July 1874 To England on leave.
Malta 6 Sep 1874 Returned to Malta.
Malta 1875 On garrison duty.
Malta 20 June 1876 Returned to England. On duty in Portsmouth.
Oct 1877 Moved to Bengal.
1878–1881 On duty in Bengal.
Nov 1884 Moved from Gosport to Madras. On general duty at Bangalore.
1886 Senior Medical Officer Station Hospital Madras.
In Mar 1886, he was directed to do duty at the Station Hospital, Bangalore; in May was appointed Senior Medical Officer, South Station Hospital Bangalore.
23 May 1891 Retired with the rank of surgeon major having completed 23 years' full-pay service.
- Drew R., 1968. Entry No: 5816. Medical Officers in the British Army 1660 – 1960. Volume 1: 1660 – 1898. London: Wellcome Historical Medical Library.
- RAMC/PE/3/27/Drew. Manuscript for Drew's Roll.
- TNA:CO 158/228, General Returns of the Regimental Strength of the British Army (August 1870–December 1871).
- Succession Book Vol 11. Returns of service of medical officers in the Regular Army.
- Naval and Military Medical Services Br Med J (1886), 621; (Published 27 March 1886).
- Naval and Military Medical Services Br Med J (1886), 849; (Published 1 May 1886).
- Statistical, Sanitary and Medical Reports of the Army Medical Department. Army Medical Department Report for 1862 Vol IV. London 1864.
- Statistical, Sanitary and Medical Reports of the Army Medical Department. Army Medical Department Report for 1873 Vol XV. London 1875.