No 700 Brigade Surgeon John Kinahan
Lic (1858) LM (1858) FRCSI (1866) MD (St And 1859)
13 Feb 1837 [Feakle Ireland] – 30 Sep 1897 [Southsea]
Brigade Surgeon John Kinahan entered the Army Medical Department in August 1858. He served in the Egyptian Campaign of 1882 and received the Medal Egypt and Sudan 1882–1889 and the Khedive's Bronze Star. He was also on the Nile Expedition of 1884–1885 when he was in charge of Field Hospitals at Sinneh and Sarkamatts (clasp). He was invalided home from the Nile Expedition.
Brigade Surgeon John Kinahan died at Southsea on 30 September 1897, aged 60 years.
5 Aug 1858 Commissioned Staff Assistant Surgeon, vice John Hoffman promoted Staff Surgeon of the Second Class.
1859–1861 Served in China.
28 Jan 1862 Appointed Assistant Surgeon 44th (East Essex) Regiment of Foot, vice Assistant Surgeon Charles James Kinahan who moved to the Staff.
3 June 1864 Assistant Surgeon Royal Artillery. At Umballa India.
22 May 1866 Staff Assistant Surgeon.
1866–1868 Served in Galway and Carrick on Suir County Tipperary.
1868–1870 Served in China.
1871–1873 Served in Ireland.
1 Mar 1873 Promoted Surgeon.
1 Apr 1873 Promoted Surgeon Major.
1873–1874 Served in Bombay.
1875–1878 Served in Curragh.
Malta 15 Aug 1878 Arrived from England.
Malta 1879 On garrison duty.
Malta 12 Sep 1880 To England on leave.
8 Nov 1880 Returned to Malta.
Malta 1881 On garrison duty.
Malta 22 July 1882 Left for Egypt.
1884–1885 Served in the Sudan. A telegram received at the War Office, dated Cairo, 3 April 1885, records that Surgeon–Major J. Kinahan MD arrived from up Nile on 28 April. Another telegram received at the War Office, dated Cairo, 17 May 1885, confirmed that Surgeon–Major J. Kinahan MD left for England from up Nile, invalided.
17 June 1885 Granted retired pay with the honorary rank of Brigade Surgeon.
- Drew R., 1968. Entry No: 5758. Medical Officers in the British Army 1660 – 1960. Volume 1: 1660 – 1898. London: Wellcome Historical Medical Library.
- RAMC/PE/3/27/Drew. Manuscript for Drew's Roll.
- Succession Book Vol 11. Returns of service of medical officers in the Regular Army.
- Naval and Military Medical Services Br Med J (1885), 968; (Published 9 May 1885).
- Naval and Military Medical Services Br Med J (1885), 1081; (Published 23 May 1885).
- Naval and Military Medical Services Br Med J (1885), 1273; (Published 20 June 1885).