No 262 Surgeon Francis Holton BA (Dubl 1848) MB (1849)
29 Sep 1825 [Edgeworthstown Co. Longford] – 12 June 1885 [Kilburn]
Deputy Surgeon General Francis Holton entered the Army Medical Department in May 1851. He served in Bulgaria, Scutari and in the Crimea during the war with Russia of 1854–1856.
He died at 4 Randolph Gardens, Kilburn, aged 59 years.
14 May 1851 Acting Assistant Surgeon.
23 May 1851 Assistant Surgeon 2nd (Queen's Royal) Regiment of Foot from Acting Assistant Surgeon.
1854–1856 Served in Bulgaria, Scutari and in the Crimea, during the war with Russia.
21 Nov 1856 Exchanged with Staff Assistant Surgeon Henry Joseph Rose.
1857–1858 On duty at the Royal Hospital Chelsea.
24 Aug 1858 Appointed Staff Surgeon of the 2nd Class, vice Staff Surgeon Henry Frederic Robertson, who was promoted Surgeon 40th Foot, on the retirement of Surgeon Adolphus Collings to half-pay. Gentleman Thomas Ryan was commissioned Staff Assistant Surgeon vice Holton.
1858–1860 In India.
22 Feb 1861 Appointed Surgeon 77th (East Middlesex) Regiment of Foot, vice Surgeon Henry Higgins Jones who became Staff Surgeon.
8 Mar 1871 Exchanged with Staff Surgeon Samuel Pratt Woodfull.
1871 In Portsmouth.
14 May 1871 Promoted Surgeon–Major.
23 Dec 1871 Surgeon 48th (Northamptonshire) Regiment of Foot. Regimental medical officer until June 1878 when he moved to the Staff at Woolwich.
Malta 30 Jan 1872 Arrived from England.
4 Feb 1872 Left for Madras.
June 1878 Moved to the Staff at Woolwich.
1879–1881 In Woolwich.
21 Aug 1879 Promoted Deputy Surgeon-General.
Feb 1882 In Dublin. Appointed Principal Medical Officer to the forces in the West Indies, in succession to Deputy Surgeon-General H. T. Reade VC, who resigned through ill health. Holton was in turn succeeded by Surgeon-General J. M. Scott Fogo as PMO of the Woolwich and Home districts.1
May 1882 To the West Indies and Barbados.
3 Sep 1884 Reduced to half-pay. The vacancy of deputy Surgeon-General was filled by the promotion of Brigade–Surgeon J. G. Faught.2
7 Jan 1885 Placed on the retired pay with the honorary rank of Surgeon-General.
12 June 1885 Died at Kilburn, aged 59 years.
- Drew R., 1968. Entry No: 5063. Medical Officers in the British Army 1660 – 1960. Volume 1: 1660 – 1898. London: Wellcome Historical Medical Library.
- RAMC/PE/3/27/Drew. Manuscript for Drew's Roll.
- Succession Book Vol 5 (1 May 1846). Returns of service of medical officers in the Regular Army.
- 1Naval and Military Medical Services Br Med J (1882), 288; (Published 25 February 1882).
- 2Naval and Military Medical Services Br Med J (1884), 692; (Published 4 October 1884).
- Obituary, Naval and Military Medical Services Br Med J (1885), 155; (Published 17 January 1885).