Medical Officers
Of the Malta Garrison
Edward Gilborne
1821 – 1886

No 137 Surgeon General Edward Gilborne LRCSI (1843)

8 Dec 1821 – 19 Sep 1886

Surgeon General Edward Gilborne qualified in Ireland in 1843 and entered the Army Medical Department as an Assistant Surgeon on 1 May 1845. He served in the Ordnance Medical Department until promoted to Deputy Inspector General in 1872.

Surgeon General Edward Gilborne served with the Royal Artillery in the Eastern Campaign of 1854, including the affairs of Bulganac and McKenzie's Farm. He was attached to Captain's Fitzmayer's Company 3rd Battalion Royal Artillery and took part in the Battles of Alma, the repulse of the Russian sortie on 26 October 1854 and the siege of Sebastopol. He was awarded the medal with three clasps, the Turkish Medal, the Order of the Medjidie 5th Class and was made a Knight of the French Legion of Honour.

Surgeon General Edward Gilborne died on 19 September 1886, aged 61 years.

Service Record

Map of the south of the Crimea

28 Aug 1844 Temporary Assistant Surgeon Ordnance Medical Department. He was the tenth assistant surgeon in the OMD.

1 May 1845 Appointed Assistant Surgeon Ordnance Medical Department.

Malta 19 Nov 1848 Arrived from England.

Malta 1849 Assistant Surgeon RA.

Alma 20 Sep 1854

Malta 26 Nov 1850 Returned to England.

1854 Captain Fitzmayer's Company 3rd Battalion Royal Artillery was medically inspected at the Ordnance Hospital Woolwich on 16 February 1854, to assess their fitness for foreign service.

Served in the Eastern Campaign with the Royal Artillery. On 4 June 1855, he was appointed to the Irregular Cavalry in Turkey and was granted the local rank of Staff Surgeon of the First class while so employed.

20 Sep 1854 At the Battle of the Alma with B Field Battery RA Second Division.

Balaclava 25 Oct 1854

26 Oct 1854 At the repulse of the Russian Reconnaissance.

Nov 1854 Left the Crimea.

5 Nov 1855 Promoted Surgeon Royal Artillery. He was succeeded by Staff Assistant Surgeon Patrick Heron Watson who became Assistant Surgeon RA.

1857 Yellow Fever broke out in Bermuda in August 1856. Surgeon Edward Gilborne arrived from England in August 1856 and resided at St George's. On 15 October 1856, Gunner and Driver Thomas Sykes aged 26 years stationed at Fort Victoria went down with yellow fever. The men were removed from the forts and placed under canvas and every attention paid to cleanliness and ventilation with constant inspections of the men women and children.

Gave evidence to the Commissioners appointed to investigate the circumstances connected with the first appearance of the epidemic yellow fever which prevailed in Bermuda in 1856.

28 Aug 1864 Promoted Surgeon–Major Royal Artillery.

19 Oct 1872 Promoted Deputy Surgeon–General.

1873 – 1874 On duty in Aldershot.

1874 Posted from Aldershot to the West Indies.

1875 – 1876 On duty in the West Indies.

1877 Moved to Curragh, Ireland.

1878 Change of station to Belfast.

1879 – 1880 On duty in Dublin.

2 Nov 1879 Promoted Surgeon–General.

23 June 1880 Retired to half-pay.