RAMC Officers
Of the Malta Garrison
Philip Broke Smith
1834 – 1905

577 Assistant Surgeon Philip Broke Smith

LRCS (Ed 1856) MD (Ed 1857)

18 July 1834 [Berwick on Tweed] – 4 Sep 1905 [Cheltenham]

Surgeon Major General Philip Broke Smith was the son of Captain W Smith who was mayor of Berwick in the year Queen Victoria opened the Royal Border Bridge crossing the River Tweed, linking Scotland to England. In June 1813, his father was in the engagement between HMS Shannon and USS Chesapeake and named his son Philip Broke after the captain of the English vessel.

Surgeon Major General Philip Broke Smith graduated in medicine at Edinburgh. He entered the Army Medical Department as an assistant surgeon on 15 September 1857. He retired from the service on 18 July 1894 and died at Cheltenham on 4 September 1905.

Service Record

15 Sep 1857 Staff Assistant Surgeon.

2 Feb 1858 Exchanged with Assistant Surgeon Peter Davidson 87th (The Royal Irish Fusiliers) Regiment of Foot.

1870 On 1 July no assistant surgeon is listed at Malta, but his name is given in the Malta Almanac for 1871 as being on duty at Malta.

2 Dec 1871 Promoted Staff Surgeon. The vacancy left by the promotion of Assistant Surgeon Smith was filled by Staff Assistant Surgeon Bedford Sanders,

1872 On duty at Devonport.

1873 On duty at Brecon.

26 Feb 1873 Surgeon 87th (The Royal Irish Fusiliers) Regiment of Foot. He served as their medical officer until 1877, when he moved to Aldershot from Bermuda.

1 Mar 1873 Promoted Surgeon–Major.

1877 Moved to Aldershot from Bermuda.

15 Sep 1877 Promoted Surgeon–Major ranking as Lieutenant Colonel.

1878–1880 On duty in Aldershot.

1880 Moved to Bombay.

1881–1882 On duty in Bombay.

7 May 1882 Promoted Brigade–Surgeon.

Oct 1884 Brigade–Surgeon Smith, having completed his tour of foreign service was ordered to proceed to England during the trooping season 1884–1885.

Mar 1885 Appointed to do duty with the troops proceeding to England in Her Majesty's troopship Serapis which sailed from Bombay on 1 April 1885.

17 Nov 1886 Moved from Aldershot to Bengal. Was promoted Surgeon Colonel vice Samuel Fuller, who retired.

Feb 1887 Was brought on the Administrative Medical Staff of the Allahabad Division of the Bengal Army, with the temporary rank of Deputy Surgeon–General, vice Deputy Surgeon–General Randolph Webb, transferred to temporary half-pay.

Feb 1888 Transferred from the administrative medical charge of the Allahabad division of the Bengal army on the arrival from England of Deputy Surgeon–General Edmund Humphrey Roberts. Deputy Surgeon General Smith was appointed to the administrative medical charge of the Oude Division and Rohilcund District vice Deputy Surgeon General George Monlas Slaughter who was transferred to the Home establishment.

June 1889 Serving in Bengal command. Was granted leave of absence for six months on medical certificate.

Jan 1892 Transferred from the medical command Oude and Rohilcund District to the Home Establishment. He was succeeded by Surgeon Colonel Thomas Walsh from the Bengal command Allahabad District.

Feb 1892 On his return to England from India became Principal Medical Officer at Woolwich vice Surgeon Colonel Frederick William Wade who left for India.

27 Oct 1892 Promoted Surgeon-Major-General aged 59 years, on the retirement of Surgeon-Major-General George Langford Hinde. Moved from Woolwich to Netley.

18 July 1894 Principal Medical Officer at Netley. Was placed upon retired pay having attained the age of 60 years and 24 years' full-pay service.

4 Sep 1905 Died at Cheltenham aged 71 years.

7 Nov 1908 At the Cathedral Bombay, by the Venerable Archdeacon Dickins, marriage of Philip W L Broke Smith RE, son of Surgeon Major General and Mrs Broke Smith to Dorothy Margaret Twiss, younger daughter of Vice Admiral and Mrs Guy O Twiss of Lindfield House Lindfield, Hayward's Heath.