The Admiralty Constabulary was disbanded on 23 March 1979 after over 125 years of service. It was originally known as HM Dockyard Police but in 1968 was renamed the Admiralty Constabulary. The 120 men serving with the force found employment with the fire and police service, others were employed on guard and security duties, while a few joined a labour Corps known as Dirghajn il Maltin.
The British Forces Broadcasting Service opened in 1958 and ceased transmitting on 26 March 1979. Its three transmitters at Mtarfa, Madliena and Floriana together with all studio equipment were handed over to the Malta Government. Seven Maltese employees were made redundant.
British Troops left Malta on 31 Mar 1979, ending 180 years of the British military presence on the island.
Salerno Coy 41 Commando RM left on the RFA Sir Lancelot.
- No RAMC officers or Other Ranks