An outbreak of enteric fever occurred at St Francis Barracks during the latter part of 1899.
The floor of the large venereal ward at the Station Hospital Valletta was concreted over. This eliminated the dust caused by the soft stone floor.
A new block of officers' quarters was under construction at Pembroke Camp. The PMO reported that the accommodation in the married quarters was most insufficient. Families of four and under lived in one room.
In 1899, the Citta Vecchia Sanatorium admitted 584 patients. Of these, 342 were admitted directly from Mtarfa and Mellieha Camp; the rest were transfers from various stations.
In Dec 1899, 9596 rats were killed. Regulations came into force to control the number of rats in an outbreak of plague.
In May 1899, Dr Themistocles Zammit showed that the Micrococcus brucei coagulated when treated with serum from the blood of a victim of the disease. This made it easier to differentiate brucellosis from other causes of fever.
In March 1899, the Under Secretary for War told the House, that Army Nursing Sisters were required to have three years training in a civil hospital and six months probation in the Army Nursing Service before final appointment.
A private of the RAMC received instruction at Aldershot for five months; afterwards he was attached as a supernumerary to a large military hospital to learn nursing and ward work and remained there until efficient. His education was moreover systematically continued as long as he remained with the colours. The RAMC was responsible for all hospital duties; all the men were available for nursing duties and performed them in turn.
South African War
In Oct 1899, the British Empire went to war against the Boers in South Africa. On 9 Oct 1899, Paul Johannes Kruger, President of the Transvaal, demanded the withdrawal of British troops from the frontier.
The Boers advanced on Mafeking and Kimberley in the Cape Colony on 12 Oct, and on Ladysmith in the Natal. The two main British Forces were besieged, and an Expeditionary Forces left England on 20 Oct to their relief.
On 1 Oct 1899, the strength of the RAMC was 3,707 men, of whom 2,429 were at home, 318 in South Africa and the rest in the colonies. There were in addition 1,000 officers in the reserve.
In 1899, the establishment of medical officers, exclusive of India, had been fixed to 514 officers.
Royal Naval Hospital Bighi
On 19 Jan 1899, Deputy Inspector General James Hamilton Martin proposed to reserve the building shared between the nursing sisters and the dispenser as a nurses' home. The building was to have rooms for one head sister and five sisters. A new detached quarters was planned for a senior surgeon. Quarters were to be provided for a married dispenser and for a ward master.
In Aug 1899, DIG Martin was succeeded by DIG Richard P Griffiths.