Shortly before 1816, Sir Thomas Maitland moved the Ospizio a short distance from the stores, known as the Floriana Barracks, to the former powder mill of the Order of St John, so as to make room for the military.
Conditions were insanitary as the building was partially underground.
Dr Francesco Buttigieg was Lecturer in Midwifery in the Female Hospital Valletta on a monthly salary of 35 scudi. The scudo was equivalent to 1 shilling 8 pence.
Dress Regulations – Medical Staff
Memorandum Horse Guards dated 20 Dec 1816: The General Hospital Staff are to wear:
1. A scarlet coat, single breasted, without epaulettes. These were only restored to the Medical Staff in February 1830. No sash was to be worn.
2. A cocked plain hat with black silk, button and loop but no feathers.
3. White breeches or white pantaloons for dress uniform.
4. A blue or grey overalls for undress uniform.
5. A sword worn under the coat and knot as worn by infantry officers.
6. White leather gloves.
7. A grey or blue great coat.
Army Medical Staff
A list of all the Officers of the Army and Royal Marines. War Office 15 February 1816.
TNA:CO 158/27, Fixed establishment of all the departments of Government in Malta for 1816.
TNA:WO 17/2130, Returns of the General and Staff officers of the hospitals attached to the forces in Malta (25 January–25 December 1816).