409 Surgeon Major William Hemphill MD (Glas 1851)
16 Feb 1830 [Castlederg Co. Tyrone] – 20 Feb 1898 [Southend–on–Sea]
Surgeon Major William Hemphill qualified MD in 1851 and entered the Army Medical Department as an Assistant Surgeon on 14 July 1854.
He served with the 48th Regiment in the Eastern Campaign from 21 April 1855 and was present at the Siege and fall of Sebastopol. He was also detached for duty in the dockyard from 14 January to 14 March 1856. He received the Crimea Medal with clasp and the Turkish Medal.
14 July 1854 Assistant Surgeon 48th (Northamptonshire) Regiment of Foot.
21 Apr 1855 Disembarked with the 48th Regiment in the Crimea.
14 Jan–14 Mar 1856 Served on detachment in the dockyard, and was present at the siege and fall of Sebastopol.
30 May 1856 Arrived from the Crimea. On duty at Fort Manoel.
Malta 5 Aug 1857 Left for Gibraltar.
13 July 1858 Appointed Assistant Surgeon 66th (Berkshire) Regiment vice Assistant Surgeon William Murray Sim promoted on the staff. The vacancy in 48th Foot was filled by Staff Assistant Surgeon Jean Valleton de Boissiere.
9 Apr 1861 Appointed Staff Assistant Surgeon vice Staff Assistant Surgeon John Livingston Power who became Assistant Surgeon 64th Foot.
1861–1862 On duty in Canada.
1863 On duty in Shorncliffe.
1864–1866 On duty in New Zealand.
1866–1867 On duty in Bombay.
1 Feb 1867 Staff Surgeon.
1868 On duty in Walmer.
1869–1871 On duty in Honduras.
1872–1873 On duty in Manchester.
14 July 1874 Surgeon Major.
1874–1876 On duty in Woolwich with the Army Service Corps.
1877–1879 On duty in Limerick.
22 July 1879 Retired to half-pay with the honorary rank of Deputy Surgeon General.
- Drew R., 1968. Entry No: 5316. Medical Officers in the British Army 1660 – 1960. Volume I: 1660 – 1898. London: Wellcome Historical Medical Library.
- RAMC/PE/3/27/Drew. Manuscript for Drew's Roll.
- Succession Book Vol VII. Returns of service of medical officers in the Regular Army.
- Naval and Military Medical Services. Br Med J (1898); 1: 1113 (Published 23 April 1898).
- TNA:WO 17/2163, Office of the Commander–in–Chief, Monthly Returns to the Adjutant General Malta 1857.