Surgeon Captain Eustace Augustus Burnside
MRCS LSA (1886)
24 Sep 1860 [Nassau Bahamas] – 17 Feb 1941 [Paisley]
Educated at King's College London.
5 Feb 1887 Surgeon.
Malta 23 Feb 1895 Arrived from England.
Resident at Cottonera Hospital.
Malta 11 Apr 1895 Home leave.
Malta 28 Nov 1895 To England on sick leave.
Malta Sep 1896 Left for the Scottish District.
5 Feb 1899 Major RAMC.
1899–1902 Served in the South African War, where he took part in the actions at Elandslaagte, Rietfontein, and Lombard's Kop, in the defence of Ladysmith, and in the subsequent operations in Natal, the Orange River Colony, and the Transvaal.
3 July 1911 Promoted Lieutenant Colonel RAMC.
1914–1918 Served in the Great War.
1 Mar 1915 Promoted Colonel L/RAMC.
1917 Retired in 1917 but was re-employed till 20 Dec 1918.
In 1917 he was appointed a Knight of Grace of the Order of St John of Jerusalem.
- Entry No: 7227. William Johnston, Roll of Commissioned Offices in the Medical Service of the British Army, 20 June 1727-23 June 1898. (Aberdeen, University Press, 1917).
- Deaths in the services, Brit Med J (1889), 386 (Published 8 March 1899).
- Malta Army and Navy directory at the Malta Chronicle office Nov 1895.
- Succession Books Vol XVIII Returns of statement of service of RAMC Officers.
- Changes of Station September 1896. Brit Med J (1896), 2; 1868: 1172 (Published 17 October 1896).