Regiments of the Malta Garrison The Royal Anglian Regiment
The Royal Anglian Regiment
The Royal Anglian Regiment was formed in 1964 from the three regiments of the East Anglian Brigade and The Royal Leicestershire Regiment. These four regular battalions were later joined by three TA Battalions, the 5th (V) Battalion in 1967, the 6th and 7th in 1971.
The 1st/East Anglian Regiment (Royal Norfolk and Suffolk) was formed in 1959. It became the 1st/The Royal Anglian Regiment in 1968.
The 2nd/East Anglian Regiment (Duchess of Gloucester's Own Royal Lincolnshire and Northamptonshire) was formed in 1960. It became the 2nd/The Royal Anglian Regiment in 1968.
The 3rd/East Anglian Regiment (16th/44th Foot) was formed in 1958 from the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment (16th Foot) and the Essex (44th and 56th) Regiment in 1958.
The 4th (Leicestershire)/The Royal Anglian Regiment was formed in 1964. It disbanded in 1975.