Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers (REME)
The Royal Electrical And Mechanical Engineers (REME) is responsible for the recovery, repair and maintenance of vehicles, weapons and equipment. On 19 May 1942, it received the royal assent for its formation, but no postings were made to the Corps until 1 October 1942, which is celebrated as the official birthday.
The badge adopted was four shields each bearing one of the initials of the Corps title placed on a laurel wreath in the form of a cross, with a pair of calipers in the centre and a crown above all.
In July 1947, a new regimental badge was adopted. This had a horse in a rearing attitude (forcene) upon a flash of lightning, with a coronet of four fleurs–de–lis round its neck, a chain attached to the coronet over its back, standing on a globe. Above the horse, a scroll inscribed REME surrounded by a crown.
The horse symbolised controlled power, the globe the world wide character of mechanical engineering, and the lightning flash electrical engineering.
Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers
Burials in Pembroke Military Cemetery in 1943:
- 10 Aug Cfn George Henry Chapman.
Baptisms at St Oswald’s Chapel Mtarfa in 1961:
- 17 Sep Jacqueline Ann Cawkwell born on 22 Sep 1959, daughter of Patricia Evelyn and Cpl David Bruce Cawkwell of No 3
FBlock, Mtarfa Barracks Married Quarters was baptised at St Oswald’s Chapel.
- TNA:ADM 338/54, Register of Baptisms St Oswald Church, Mtarfa 1 May 1913 to 31 August 1971.
- Edwards T J. 1980. Regimental Badges. First Edition, Tonbridge, Kent: Ernest Benn Ltd, 153.