The Army Pay Corps
The Army Pay Department was established by Royal Warrant dated Victoria 22 October 1877 which took effect on 1 April 1878. The Army Pay Department encompassed all the serving regimental pay masters. During the Great War, it included civilian acting paymasters and Lady Superintendents. There were 13 Lady Superintendents on 1 January 1916, with a maximum number of 279 on 1 April 1919, before dwindling down to 32 on 10 April 1920.
In 1882, military clerks working in the offices of the regimental paymasters were incorporated into The Army Pay Corps. The Army Pay Corps had civilian writers, male civil clerks, and female clerks.
In 1920, in recognition of their service during the war, The Army Pay Department and The Army Pay Corps were granted the prefix Royal and amalgamated into the Royal Army Pay Corps.
A Corps of Military Accountants was established in 1919, when a new system of cost accounting was introduced across the army. In January 1920, an officer was appointed in each Command as Command Accountant. He was responsible for the cost accounts of the units under the Command, and was assisted by Group and Station Accountant Officers. Matters relating to pay remained in the hands of the Army Pay Corps. The strength of the Corps of Military Accountants in March 1920 was 32 officers and 205 other ranks. The Corps published a quarterly journal, the Balance first published in December 1923. The Corps of Military Accountants was disbanded in 1925. Those men serving on a 21 years' engagement were transferred to the Royal Army Pay Corps.
The Army Pay Corps
Baptisms in 1886:
- 18 Aug Baptism in the Garrison Church, Valletta of Kathleen Barber daughter of Jane and Edward Reynolds Barber, Superintending Clerk Army Pay Department Valletta, born on 27 July 1886.
Burials in 1889:
- 17 July 1889 Francis Giuseppe Barber aged 11 months, son of Edward R Barber was buried in Pietà Military Cemetery.
Baptisms in 1890:
- 27 Jan 1890 James Arthur Barber born 9 Jan 1890, son of Jane and WO James Reynolds Barber Superintendent Clerk Army Pay Department.
Burials in 1891:
- 27 July 1891 Grace Melita Smith aged 13 months, daughter of Sgt Maj C J Smith was buried in Pietà Military Cemetery.
Burials in 1893:
- 17 Apr 1893 William Henry Jackson aged 2 years 3 months, son of QMSgt Jackson.
1894 Strength: 12 men.
Burials in 1894:
- 3 July 1894 Infant Ernest Lea Smith aged 4 months, son of Sgt Smith Army Pay Department was buried in Pietà Military Cemetery.
1895 Strength: 12 men.
1 June 1896 Strength: 12 men.
1 Jan 1897 Strength: 13 men.
1 Jan 1898 Strength: 14 men. The pay office was located in the Old Library Valletta.
1 Jan 1899 Strength: 16 men.
Burials in 1899:
- 3 Aug Child May Elizabeth Booth, aged 8 months, daughter of Sgt Booth was buried at Pietà Military Cemetery.
1 Jan 1900 Strength: 15 men.
Baptisms in the Garrison Church in 1900:
- 18 Feb George William Paul Brown born on 25 January 1900, son of Janet Williamson and QM Sgt George Alfred Brown, resident at Sliema.
- 15 Apr Ruby Alice Booth born on 28 March 1900, daughter of Jane and SSgt John Booth, resident at Sliema.
Burials in 1900:
- 12 July 1900 Burial of infant Herbert Ernest MacKenzie Loton aged 3 months, son of SSgt H Loton at Pietà Military Cemetery.
In 1903, the pay office was located at the Old Laboratory Barracks Valletta.
Army Pay Department Office: Strada Cavaliere. Attached to the APD were Capt A W Ganado RMA and Capt J Salomone RMA.
Burials in 1904:
- 18 Aug Mrs Janet Tupper, aged 26 years, wife of Sgt Tupper was buried in Pietà Military Cemetery.
Burials in Pietà Military Cemetery in 1905:
- 8 Mar Henry James Booth, aged 11 months, son of QMSgt Booth of Valletta.
- 31 Dec Leslie Lenty, aged 2 years 2 months, son of Sgt Lenty.
Baptisms in 1906:
- 12 Dec 1906 Wilfrid Ronald Leuty born on 19 October 1904, son of Annie and SSgt Douglas Leuty, resident at Msida Bastion Married Quarters, Floriana.
Baptisms in 1907:
- 2 Jan 1907 Baptism of Cyril Leuty born on 13 December 1900, son of Annie and SSgt Douglas Leuty, resident at Msida Bastion Married Quarters, Floriana.
Burials in Pietà Military Cemetery in 1908:
- 14 Mar Arthur John Leigh 2 months, son of SSgt F L Leigh.
Baptisms in 1910:
- 30 Oct Ellena Maud Connor born on 3 October 1910, daughter of Annie Elizabeth and Sgt Charles William Connor, of the Camerata, Valletta.
Baptisms in 1912:
- 24 Nov Vida Bentley Johnson born on 3 November 1912, daughter of Florence and SSgt George Johnson, of the Camerata, Valletta.
- 29 Nov Barbara Agatha Patricia Campbell Todd born on 23 July 1912, daughter of Sylvia Mary Elizabeth Patricia and Maj Charles Campbell Todd, of Valletta.
Baptisms in 1913:
- 25 May Richard Thomas Huxley Lincoln born on 29 April 1913, son of Eleanor Jane and Staff QM Sgt Richard Cecil Huxley Lincoln, of the Camerata, Valletta.
- 26 Oct Stanley Manoel William Brogden born on 19 September 1913, son of Lillian Elizabeth and Staff Sgt William Brogden, of Valletta.
Baptisms in 1915:
- 6 Jan Edith May Weston born on 5 November 1914, daughter of Elsie Matilda and SSgt Ernest Charles Weston, of Notre Dame Ravelin, Floriana.
- 10 Jan Kenneth William Walden born on 6 November 1914, son of Grace and Cpl William Richard Walden, of Notre Dame Ravelin, Floriana.
- 14 July Gladys Mary Dowdell born on 26 May 1915, daughter of Mabel and Sgt George James Dowdell of Msida Bastion Quarters, Floriana.
Burials in Pietà Military Cemetery in 1915:
- 9 Nov Alice Slingsby aged 36 years, wife of SSgt Charles Slingsby.
Baptisms in the Barracca Church Valletta in 1917:
- 7 Nov John Ernest Sutcliffe born on 6 Mar 1911, son of SSgt Robert Sutcliffe and Blanche Marion resident at 8 Notre Dame Married Quarters Floriana.
- 7 Nov Helena Amelia Sutcliffe born on 23 Mar 1913, daughter of SSgt Robert Sutcliffe and Blanche Marion resident at 8 Notre Dame Married Quarters Floriana.
- 7 Nov William Alfred Sutcliffe born on 4 May 1915, son of SSgt Robert Sutcliffe and Blanche Marion.
- 7 Nov Frederick Arthur George Sutcliffe born on 14 Sep 1917, daughter of SSgt Robert Sutcliffe and Blanche Marion.
Baptisms in the Barracca Church Valletta in 1918:
- 20 Nov 1918 Norman Robert Dowdell born on 7 Oct 1918, son of Staff QM Sgt George James Dowdell and Mabel Bond, resident at 18 Notre Dame Married Quarters Floriana.
1 Jan 1921 Strength: 4 Officers, 9 Rank and File.
Baptisms in the Barracca Church Valletta in 1921:
- 27 Nov Iris Dorothy Wardell born on 4 Oct 1921, daughter of Sgt William Henry Wardell and Ellen, resident at Notre Dame Ravelin, Floriana.
1 Jan 1922 Strength: 4 Officers, 8 Rank and File.
1 Jan 1923 Strength: 4 Officers, 3 Rank and File.
Baptisms in the Barracca Garrison Church Valletta in 1923:
- 11 Feb Denis Frank William Hawes born 11 January 1923, son of Daisy Louisa and Sgt Frank William Hawes of Notre Dame Ravelin, Floriana.
- 21 June Joan Skee born 31 May 1923, daughter of Lillian Laura Ethel and George Skee clerk in the RAPC of Notre Dame Ravelin, Floriana.
- 18 July Beryl Higginson born 26 June 1923, daughter of Elsie and Sgt William Higginson of Notre Dame Ravelin, Floriana.
1 Jan 1924 Strength: 5 Officers, 5 Rank and File.
1 Jan 1925 Strength: 4 Officers, 4 Rank and File.
1 Jan 1926 Strength: 4 Officers, 5 Rank and File.
Baptisms at the Barracca Garrison Church Valletta in 1926:
- 25 Nov Ruby Florence Moss born 4 November 1926, daughter of Elizabeth and L/Sgt Frank Reginald Moss of Notre Dame Ravelin, Floriana.
1 Jan 1927 Strength: 2 Officers, 5 Rank and File.
1 Jan 1928 Strength: 5 Officers, 16 Rank and File.
1 Jan 1929 Strength: 4 Officers, 16 Rank and File.
Baptisms at the Barracca Garrison Church Valletta in 1929:
- 10 May Edward Walter Yorke born 16 January 1918, son of Ruth Roberta Winifred and Sgt Edward George Yorke, of No 18 D Block, Msida Bastion Married Quarters, Floriana.
- 10 May Robert James Yorke born 27 January 1920, son of Ruth Roberta Winifred and Sgt Edward George Yorke, of No 18 D Block, Msida Bastion Married Quarters, Floriana.
- 10 May Enid Roberta Yorke born 22 February 1928, daughter of Ruth Roberta Winifred and Sgt Edward George Yorke, of No 18 D Block, Msida Bastion Married Quarters, Floriana.
- 10 May Walter William Yorke born 12 October 1929, son of Ruth Roberta Winifred and Sgt Edward George Yorke, of No 18 D Block, Msida Bastion Married Quarters, Floriana.
1 Jan 1930 Strength: 6 Officers, 2 Rank and File.
Baptisms at the Barracca Garrison Church Valletta in 1930:
- 9 Mar Victor Denham born 25 January 1930, son of Clara Evelyn and Sgt Henry James Denham, of No 16 D Block, Msida Bastion Married Quarters, Floriana.
- 30 Nov Geoffrey Leslie Harding born 1 October 1930, son of Isabel and Sgt Thomas Harding, of No 8, St Francis Ravelin Married Quarters, Floriana.
1 Jan 1931 Strength: 3 Officers, 2 Rank and File.
31 Dec 1932 Strength: 21 men.
Baptisms at the Barracca Garrison Church Valletta in 1932:
- 15 May Brian Denham born 7 March 1932, son of Clara Evelyn and Sgt Henry James Denham, of No 16 D Block, Msida Bastion Married Quarters, Floriana.
31 Dec 1933 Strength: 20 men.
31 Dec 1934 Strength: 18 men.
30 June 1935 Strength: 17 men.
1936 Strength: 5 Officers 17 men.
31 Dec 1937 Strength: 18 men.
30 June 1938 Strength: 18 men.
30 June 1939 Strength: 5 Officers 17 men.
30 June 1940 Strength: 6 Officers 12 men.
30 June 1941 Strength: 16 Officers, 69 men.
30 Sep Strength: 12 Officers, 43 men.
27 June 1942 Strength: 15 Officers, 32 men.
2 Apr On Thursday 2 Apr 1942 at around 10:30 am, the Command Pay Office at Villa Rosa St George's Bay, commanded by Major Adrian Howell received a direct hit. Those killed included a 17 yr old Maltese Joseph Grech from Birkirkara who was employed as a messenger, Lt F. Harrod, Cpl L. Beckett, Pte A. C. Pullan, Pte A. A. Golledge, Pte C. P. Davies, Walter Farrugia, and Edgar Zahra.
30 June 1945 Strength: 14 Officers, 42 other ranks
After the war, Montgomery House overlooking the granaries of Floriana became the Command Pay Office for the Malta Garrison.
Baptisms in St Oswald's Chapel Mtarfa in 1956:
- 18 Nov Graeme Ralph Osbourne born on 1 Mar 1956, son of Vivien Evelyn and Capt Albert James Osbourne RAPC of 25 Boschetto Road Rabat.
- Edwards, T. J., 1980. Regimental Badges First Edition, Tonbridge, Kent: Ernest Benn Ltd.
- TNA:WO 95/5448. Command Paymaster Malta Command Oct 1914 to May 1915.
- TNA:WO 156/599. Baptism Register of the Barracca Church Valletta from 18 August 1916 to 6 November 1949.
- Register No 13. Burials No 8, Pietà Cemetery 1887–1908.