Regiments of the Malta Garrison
9th (East Norfolk)

search maltaramc

The 9th (East Norfolk) Regiment

Norfolk Regiment
Britannia holding a sprig of olive in her right hand and a trident in her left resting against her left shoulder, an oval shield bearing the Great Union rest against her left forearm, below is a scroll inscribed The Norfolk Regiment. Britannia was granted by Queen Anne for gallantry at the battle of Almanza in 1707. During the War of the Spanish Succession the 9th covered the retreat of Lord Galway, thus upholding the honour of Great Britain.

The 9th Foot was raised in 1685 by King James II during the time of the Monmouth Rebellion.

It was numbered 9th Foot in 1751, to which the title East Norfolk was added in 1782.

On 1 July 1881 it became The Norfolk Regiment.

The Norfolk Regiment received its Royal prefix in June 1935 during the jubilee of King George V.

In 1959, The Royal Norfolk Regiment merged with The Suffolk Regiment to form The East Anglian (Royal Norfolk and Suffolk) Regiment.

The 9th (East Norfolk) Regiment

1854 9th (East Norfolk)

3 Mar 1854 The 9th Foot arrived from Ireland with 505 men fit for duty. A part of the 9th Foot was quartered at Fort St Elmo, the rest at the School for Girls, and the Castellaria in Merchant Street Valletta.

Malta 18 Apr The 9th Foot formed part of the reserve at Verdala Barracks until required in the east during the war with Russia.

Malta 10 Oct The 9th Foot moved from Fort Verdala to Fort St Elmo and Auberge Bavarie Valletta vice The 3rd (East Kent–The Buffs) Regiment of Foot.

Malta Nov 1854 The 9th Foot left for Turkey and the Crimea. The regiment (20 officers, 544 men) landed at Balaklava on 27 Nov 1854. It was marched at once to the Lines before Sebastopol and placed on duty in the trenches. The weather was wet, cold and tempestuous. Cholera made its appearance on 29 November. In the course of that and the following day, 13 cases occurred of which 6 proved fatal; 81 fell ill in December out of a strength of 544 men.

The regiment had suffered much from fever at Malta during autumn. Many men were embarked for service in the Crimea while still convalescing, and not yet fully fit to encounter the hardships and deprivations of their new positions.

The following were buried at Malta in 1854:

  1. 2 June Georgina Cox aged 84 days, daughter of Sgt Cox.
  2. 7 June Thomas Mosroney aged 1 year 2 months, son of Pte Thomas Mosroney.
  3. 24 June Andrew James Rees aged 2 months, daughter of Pte George Rees.
  4. 1 July Frederick Rudd son of Cpl Robert Rudd.
  5. 4 July Anna C Borton aged 6 months, daughter of Lt Col Borton.
  6. 22 July Elizabeth Hannah Ellison aged 1 year, daughter of Pte Isaac Ellison.
  7. 22 July Alfred Thomas White aged 1 year, son of Pte Isaac White.
  8. 12 August Margaret Briggs aged 26 years, wife of CSgt John Briggs.
  9. 4 September William Briggs aged 10 months, son of CSgt John Briggs.
  10. 19 September Cecelia Priscilla Hawes aged 24 years, wife of Capt George Harrington Hawes.
  11. 6 October Sgt Alexander Polson aged 26 years.
  12. 10 October Pte John Snow aged 31 years.
  13. 10 November Elizabeth Emma Biggs aged 10 months, daughter of CSgt John Biggs.
  14. 12 November Pte Thomas Goss aged 20 years.

1855 9th (East Norfolk)

Malta 18 May 1855 A draft of 119 men arrived from England.

The following was buried at Malta in 1855:

  1. 21 November Frances Bethume aged 22 years, wife of Maj Bethume 9th Regiment.

1856 9th (East Norfolk)

The 1st/9th (East Norfolk) Regiment

TNA:WO 379/11 Movements of 1st/9th Regt. (Courtesy R Sellstrom BEM)

1864 — 1st/9th (East Norfolk)

3 June 1864 The 1st/9th (East Norfolk) embarked at Cephalonia on 2 June 1864. It arrived at Malta on 3 June.

18 June 1864 The 1st/9th (East Norfolk) embarked for Gibraltar where it arrived on 24 June 1864.

The Norfolk Regiment

1925 The Norfolk

Malta 1 Oct 1925 8 officers and 797 rank and file arrived at Malta on a short stay tour of duty. The battalion is no longer listed as being at Malta in the returns of 1 January 1926.


  1. Farmer J. S., 1984. The regimental records of the British Army Reprint Edition, Trowbridge, Wiltshire: Crecy Books.
  2. Edwards T. J., 1980. Regimental Badges First Edition, Tonbridge, Kent: Ernest Benn Ltd.
  3. Wickes, H. L, 1974. Regiments of Foot Southampton Osprey Ltd, 14.
  4. TNA:WO 379/11. Stations of Regiments 1859–1900.
  5. TNA:WO 156/113. Register of burials September 1853 to June 1862.