Regiments of the Malta Garrison The 79th (Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders)
The 79th (Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders)
The 79th (Highland–Cameronian Volunteers) Regiment was raised in 1793 by Sir Alan Cameron of Erracht. In 1804, it was known as the 79th Cameronian Highlanders, and in 1873 as the 79th (Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders) Regiment.
On 1 July 1881, the 79th became the First Battalion The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. A 2nd Battalion was raised in 1897.
In 1961, the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders amalgamated with the Seaforth Highlanders to form the Queen's Own Highlanders (Seaforth and Camerons).
1855 – 79th
The following were buried in 1855:
11 May Pte James Wilson 79th Regiment aged 21 years.
5 August Pte Riehard Falconer 79th Regiment aged 16 years.
The 1st/Cameron Highlanders had an average strength of 956 men. It had 732 admissions (765.7/1000 mean strength) into hospital with 11 deaths (11.51/1000 mean strength). 25 invalids returned to England.
Its average constantly sick was 50.24 (52.55/1000 mean strength). The average sick time to each soldier was 19.18 days. The average duration of cases of sickness was 25.05 days.
The 1st/Cameron Highlanders was quartered at Pembroke Camp for 2 months and at Lower St Elmo Barracks for 10 months.
The following were buried at Rinella Military Cemetery in 1893:
13 MayA Mancenston aged 19 years, died at Cottonera.
31 AugustJames Brooks aged 25 years, died at Cottonera.
18 OctoberJohn Montgomery aged 2 years 10 months, died at Cottonera.