The 70th (Surrey) Regiment
The 70th Foot was derived from the 2nd/31st Regiment of Foot. The 2nd Battalion was raised in 1756 during the Seven Years War (1756–63), but two years later became an independent regiment as the 70th Regiment of Foot (Glasgow Greys). It recruiting in Scotland.
In 1782 the 70th Foot gained its county affiliation with Surrey. In 1813, the title Glasgow Lowland displaced The Surrey, however, in 1825 the regimental title reverted back to The 70th (Surrey) Regiment of Foot.
On 1 July 1881 The 70th (Surrey) Regiment merged with the 31st (Huntingdonshire) Regiment to become The 2nd Battalion The East Surrey Regiment.
On 14 October 1959, the East Surrey Regiment amalgamated with The Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey) to form the Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment.
The 70th (Surrey) Regiment
1836 70th (Surrey)
3 July 1836 17 officers and 460 men of the 70th arrived from Gibraltar.
Marriages in 1836:
- 7 Nov Bachelor CSgt William Reed to Ellen Holohan, spinster of Kilkenny Ireland.
- 16 Nov Bachelor Sgt Robert McDonald to Ophelia Ward, spinster daughter of Armourer Sgt Ward 70th Regiment, deceased.
Baptisms in 1836:
- 13 July Emma Watson daughter of CSgt William Watson and Emma born on 1 July.
- 22 Aug Walter James McQueen son of Pte John McQueen and Catherine, born on 15 August.
- 1 Sep Elizabeth Pateman daughter of Pte George Pateman and Mary, born on 23 August.
- 8 Sep Harriet Webster daughter of QM Sgt Joseph Webster and Mary, born on 21 July.
- 19 Sep George Downie son of Pte William Downie and Christina, born on 12 September.
- 28 Nov Gertrude Frances Melita Floriana Taylor daughter of Capt William Taylor and Catherine Anna, born on 8 November.
- 12 Dec Sarah Anne Murgatroyd daughter of Pte Robert Murgatroyd and Margaret, born on 27 November.
Burials in 1836:
- 4 July Pte John Dare aged 21 years.
- 9 July Hospital Sgt James Duncan aged 53 years.
- 17 July Emma Watson aged 16 days, daughter of CSgt William Watson.
- 8 Aug Eliza Kelsall aged 5 months, daughter of Lt Edward Kelsall. Lt E Kelsall became a lieutenant Surrey Regt on 8 March 1831. A Major Joseph Kelsall was also serving in the same regiment.
- 25 Aug Sarah Williams aged 20 months, daughter of Pte Edward Williams.
- 20 Sep Pte Thomas Jones aged 30 years.
- 4 Oct Pte John Sturgeon aged 15 years.
- 5 Oct Pte Thomas Steer aged 23 years.
- 14 Nov Susan Mallon aged 26 years, wife of Pte Mallon.
- 21 Nov Pte Thomas Richardson aged 25 years.
- 4 Dec Pte James McFarlane aged 26 years.
9 June – 11 Oct Cholera broke out on 9 June 1837. The 70th Foot had 37 sick with 9 deaths (6 males, 1 females, 2 children) between 17 June and 18 July 1837.
Marriages in 1837:
- 11 Sep Bachelor Pte John Bell to Elizabeth Ward, spinster daughter of Armourer Sgt Ward 70th Regiment, deceased.
Baptisms in 1837:
- 20 Feb Samuel James Graham son of Capt James John Graham and Anna Maria born on 30 January.
J. J. Graham became a captain 70th (Surrey) Regiment on 7 August 1835. He was a captain 75th Regiment from 25 February 1830.
- 19 Mar Ellen Colquhoun daughter of Pte Alexander Colquhoun and Ellen born on 27 December 1836.
- 1 May Sarah Ockley daughter of L/Cpl James Ockley and Anne born on 24 April.
- 10 May Harriet Hall daughter of George Hall and Mary born on 25 April.
- 2 July Thomas Palmer son of Pte Charles Henry Palmer and Anastasia born on 26 June.
- 7 July Edward Kelsall son of Lt Edward Kelsall and Susan born on 21 May.
- 31 July John Adams son of Pte Charles Adams and Margaret born on 25 July.
- 24 Aug Avary Holmes Kelsall son of Major Joseph Kelsall and Sarah born on 14 July.
- 16 Oct Harriet Kercher daughter of Pte Henry Kercher and Mary born on 4 October 1837.
- 23 Oct Eliza Hoyles daughter of Pte Daniel Hoyles deceased and Anne born on 19 October.
- 26 Nov James McFarlane son of Sgt Duncan McFarlane and Margaret born on 8 November.
- 28 Dec John Clements son of Pte Thomas Clements and Jane born on 24 December.
Burials in 1837:
- 11 Mar Pte William Dunn aged 30 years
1838 70th (Surrey)
11 Jan 1838 459 men embarked on the transport Jupiter for the West Indies.
Baptisms in 1838:
- 6 Jan Charlotte Amelia Wilton daughter of Lt John Lucas Wilton and Elizabeth born on 31 August 1837.
- 8 Jan Margaret Welsh daughter of Pte Richard Welsh and Mary born on 31 December 1837.
- 8 Jan Anne Allen daughter of Cpl William Allen and Elizabeth born on 3 January 1838.
- 8 Jan Susannah Sands daughter of Pte William Sands and Martha born on 31 December 1837.
The 2nd/East Surrey Regiment
1893 2nd/East Surrey
23 Feb 1893 The 2nd/East Surrey Regiment embarked at Queenstown from Tipperary. It disembarked in Malta on 4 March as the short tour battalion.
It had an average strength of 540 men, 768 admissions (1412.9/1000 mean strength) into hospital and 9 deaths (16.67/1000 mean strength). 4 invalids returned to England.
Its average constantly sick was 38.44 (71.19/1000 mean strength). The average sick time to each soldier was 25.99 days. The average duration of cases of sickness was 18.39 days.
The 2nd/East Surrey Regiment was quartered at Pembroke Camp for 7 months and 2 weeks and at Isola Gate for 6 weeks from Nov 1893.
Baptisms in 1893:
- 8 Dec Winifred Ladd born 20 Nov 1893, daughter of Sarah Jane and Sgt William Ladd of Vittoriosa.
- 31 Dec Harold Cecil Tomalin born 2 Nov 1893, son of Eliza Lucretia and Sgt Master Tailor Alfred William Tomalin of Floriana.
Burials in Rinella Military Cemetery in 1893:
- 28 Nov Joseph Hart aged 4 years 6 months, died at Cottonera.
- 21 Dec J S Kiney aged 23 years, died at Cottonera.
Burials in Pietà Military Cemetery in 1893:
- 14 May L Davis aged 19 years 11 months.
- 28 June L/Cpl William Henry Pither aged 24 years 6 months.
- 12 July Florence Ladd aged 1 year.
- 4 Aug Pte J Acton aged 25 years.
- 4 Aug Pte W Blower aged 21 years.
- 14 Aug Pte John Skinner.
- 14 Aug Child Agnes Smith aged 1 year 4 months, daughter of Pte R Smith.
- 20 Sep J Perry aged 20 years.
- 28 Nov E James aged 21 years.
- 1 Dec Child Elsie Essex aged 6 years 3 months.
- 12 Dec Child Stanly Pelham Essex aged 4 years 3 months.
1894 2nd/East Surrey
The 2nd/East Surrey Regiment had an average strength of 924 men. It had 739 admissions (799.8/1000 mean strength) into hospital with 9 deaths (9.74/1000 mean strength). 8 invalids returned to England.
Its average constantly sick was 40.05 (49.83/1000 mean strength). The average sick time to each soldier was 18.19 days. The average duration of cases of sickness was 22.74 days.
The 2nd/East Surrey Regiment was quartered at Isola Gate for 12 months.
Baptisms in 1894:
- 5 Jan Amy Melita Coleman born 7 Oct 1893, daughter of Lizzie Maria and Pioneer Sgt Edward William Coleman of St Nicholas Married Quarters Polverista Barracks.
- 9 Feb Elizabeth Hilda Tegg born 16 Jan 1894, daughter of Ellen and Sgt Harry Edward Tegg of Polverista Barracks.
- 16 Feb Annie Elizabeth Chambers born 30 Jan 1894, daughter of Emma Eliza and Sgt Alfred Chambers of St Nicholas Married Quarters.
- 16 Feb Annie May Doyle born 6 Feb 1894, daughter of Emma Jane and Sgt John Doyle of St Nicholas Married Quarters.
- 10 Mar Thomas Henry Jones born 3 Feb 1894, son of Isabel and Pte Thomas Jones.
- 21 Mar Ruby Cecilia Inkster born 22 Feb 1894, daughter of Margaret Mary and Band Master Frederick John Inkster of Floriana.
- 20 Apr Bessie Louisa Wilson born 16 Mar 1894, daughter of Margaret Elizabeth and Pte Henry Wilson of Cottonera.
- 6 June Haydon William Aldersey Packman born 9 May 1894, son of Emily Charlotte and Lt Frederick Lord Aldersey Packman of Valletta.
- 22 July Nina Adela Mary Weale born 29 June 1894, daughter of Mary and Sgt John James Weale of Cottonera.
- 18 Aug Arthur Thomas Quartermain born 12 July 1894, son of Susan and Pte Walter Quartermain of Cottonera.
- 4 Nov Millicent Mary Tutt born 2 Oct 1894, daughter of Naomi Jane and Sgt George Tutt of Cottonera.
- 18 Nov Winifred May Spencer born 18 Oct 1894, daughter of Rose Alice and Sgt William John Spencer of Cottonera.
Burials in Rinella Military Cemetery in 1894:
- 4 Jan F Ford aged 21 years, died at Cottonera.
- 31 Apr Bessie Louisa Watson aged 6 weeks, child of Pte Watson died at Cottonera.
- 30 June Pte G Adams aged 19 years, died at Cottonera.
- 11 July Mary Weale aged 29 years, wife of Sergeant Weale died at Cottonera.
- 26 July Annie Chambers aged 6 months, daughter of Sgt Chambers died at Cottonera.
- 11 Aug Annie Mary Doyle aged 6 months, daughter of Pte Doyle died at Cottonera.
- 30 Aug Pte G Ashdown aged 20 years.
- 12 Sep Pte Frederick Taylor aged 19 years.
- 13 Sep CSgt Edward West aged 39 years.
- 18 Sep Nina Adela Weale aged 3 months daughter of Sgt Weale.
- 28 Sep Pte W Foskett aged 19 years.
- 4 Dec Sgt J Austin aged 38 years, died at Cottonera.
Burials in Pietà Military Cemetery in 1894:
- 9 July Pte J Kirby aged 21 years.
- 13 Aug Pte Henry James Rudd, aged 19 years.
- 25 Sep Mrs Lizzie Coleman, aged 24 years, wife of CSgt Coleman.
1895 2nd/East Surrey
The 2nd/East Surrey Regiment had an average strength of 656 men. It had 414 admissions (631.1/1000 mean strength) into hospital with 3 deaths (4.57/1000 mean strength). 9 invalids returned to England.
Its average constantly sick was 28.23 (43.03/1000 mean strength). The average sick time to each soldier was 15.71 days. The average duration of cases of sickness was 24.89 days.
The 2nd/East Surrey Regiment had two cases of enteric fever in Fort Manoel and Hutments. The 2nd/East Surrey Regiment was quartered at Isola Gate for 1 month and Fort Manoel and Hutments for 8 1/2 months.
20 Oct 1895 The 2nd/East Surrey Regiment, consisting of HQ coy and 8 companies, 17 officers, 2 officer's wives, 1 officer's female servant, 2 warrant officers, 41 sgts, 15 buglers, 685 rank and file, 27 soldier's wives and 48 children embarked on 20 the transport Pavonia. It disembarked at Southampton on 29 October 1895.
Baptisms in 1895:
- 2 Mar Henry George Walter Clay born 4 Feb 1895, son of Ada and Sgt Henry George Clay of Fort Manoel.
- 7 Apr John Alexander Aram McKenzie born 28 Feb 1895, son of Margaret and CSgt John Alexander McKenzie of Fort Manoel.
- 7 Apr Florence Mary Beal born 20 Dec 1894, daughter of Julia and Sgt Alfred Beal of Pembroke.
- 8 Sep Amy Ethel Elston born 22 July 1895, daughter of Eliza and CSgt William Elston of Sliema.
- 13 Oct Thomas Henry Quartermain born 3 Oct 1895, son of Susan and Pte Walter Quartermain of Pembroke.
- 6 Nov Leonard Henry Wilson born 20 Oct 1895, son of Maggie and Pte Henry Wilson of Pembroke.
- 8 Nov Melita Maud Holmes born 18 Oct 1895, daughter of Alice Hannah and Sgt Charles Holmes of Pembroke.
- 8 Dec William James Robinson born 5 Nov 1895, son of Catherine and Sgt Frederick Charles Robinson of Vittoriosa.
Burials in Pietà Military Cemetery in 1895:
- 29 June Pte William Wilson, aged 21 years.
- 5 Aug Infant Florance Mary Beale, aged 8 months, daughter of Sgt Beale.
- 2 Oct Pte Charles Bottomley aged 23 years.
- 9 Dec Infant Leonard Henry Wilson, aged 7 weeks.
1915 – 2nd/East Surrey
The 2nd Battalion East Surrey Regiment served in India until 1915, when it deployed to France, before moving to the Salonika Expeditionary Force in October 1915.
Burials in 1915:
- 19 May Pte Cooksey Frederick aged 24 years, 2nd East Surrey was buried at Rinella Military Cemetery. His remains were reinterred in the Capuccini Naval Cemetery when Rinella Military Cemetery was closed.
- Farmer J. S., 1984. The regimental records of the British Army Reprint Edition, Trowbridge, Wiltshire: Crecy Books.
- Edwards T. J., 1980. Regimental Badges First Edition, Tonbridge, Kent: Ernest Benn Ltd.
- TNA:WO 379/11. Stations of Regiments 1859–1900.
- TNA:WO 156/115. Register of burials in the military cemetery Rinella from January 1890 to January 1908.
- TNA:WO 156/595. No 3, Marriage Register from 11 July 1839 to 14 May 1859.
- TNA:WO 156/594. No 2, Marriage Register from 1 January 1820 to 12 June 1839.
- TNA:WO 156/594. No 2, Baptism Register from 2 January 1820 to 29 June 1839.
- TNA:WO 156/595. No 3, Baptism Register from 14 July 1839 to 25 December 1859.
- Register No 13. Burials No 8, Pietà Cemetery 1887–1908.