The 59th (2nd Nottinghamshire) Regiment
The 59th Regiment of Foot was raised in 1755 in Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire as the 61st Foot, for service in Ireland. The following year it was re-numbered 59th Foot when the 50th and 51st Regiments were disbanded.
In 1782 the regiment was given its county association with Nottinghamshire to become The 59th (Nottinghamshire) Regiment of Foot.
On 1 July 1881, The 59th (Nottinghamshire) Regiment merged with the 30th Cambridgeshire Regiment of Foot to form the 2nd Battalion of The East Lancashire Regiment.
On 1st July 1958, the East Lancashire Regiment amalgamated with the South Lancashire Regiment to form The Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Volunteers).
On 27 March 1970, The Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Volunteers) merged with the Loyal Regiment (North Lancashire), to form the Queen's Lancashire Regiment, (Loyals and Lancashire).
The 59th (2nd Nottinghamshire) Regiment
1836 59th (2nd Nottinghamshire)
6 June 1836 HQ Coy and a detachment of 274 men of the 59th Foot arrived at Malta from Gibraltar.
28 June The 2nd Div 59th Foot consisting of 244 men disembarked at Malta.
31 Dec Strength: 18 Officers and 488 men.
Marriages in 1836:
- 9 Aug Bachelor Drum Major Edward Smith Butler to Mary Jane Goldrick, spinster daughter of William Goldrick 12th Regiment.
- 15 Aug Bachelor Acting Sgt Thomas Henry Thomas to Sarah McIrvey, spinster of Enniskillen, County Fermanagh.
Baptisms in 1836:
- 17 July Isabella Andrews daughter of Pte John Andrews and Elizabeth born on 9 June 1836.
- 24 July George Gibbons son of Pte George Gibbons and Sarah born on 5 July.
- 24 July Samuel Hardy son of Pte Thomas Hardy and Anne, born on 14 July.
- 28 Aug James Butcher son of Sgt John Butcher and Elizabeth born on 9 August.
- 28 Aug Mary Ellen Birkitt daughter of Pte William Birkitt and Ellen born on 18 August.
- 18 Sep Charles Dickenson Biggs son of Sgt Thomas Biggs and Anne, born on 29 August.
- 13 Nov Elizabeth Pike daughter of L/Cpl William Pike and Sarah, born on 16 September.
- 20 Nov Robert Ingram son of Pte Thomas Ingram and Mary, born on 1 November.
- 27 Nov Elizabeth Webb daughter of Pte Thomas Webb and Elizabeth, born on 18 November.
- 27 Nov Anne Jane Agnew daughter of Hospital Sgt George Agnew and Ellen, born on 8 November.
- 4 Dec Elizabeth Hughes daughter of Pte Michael Hughes and Elizabeth, born on 24 November.
- 4 Dec George Alexander Edwards son of Armourer Sgt Edward Edwards and Elizabeth, born on 14 November.
- 11 Dec Elizabeth Dosson daughter of Cpl Henry Dosson and Margaret, born on 2 December.
- 11 Dec Thomas Reed son of Pte James Reed and Margaret, born on 2 December.
- 11 Dec Agnes Honey daughter of Pte John Honey and Elizabeth, born on 2 December 1836.
- 18 Dec Louisa Fayers daughter of Pte Samuel Fayers and Jane, born on 29 November.
Burials in 1836:
- 2 July Pte Edward Fossett aged 23 years.
- 18 July Jane Shawcross aged 4 months, daughter of John Shawcross.
- 3 Aug Pte John Harrison aged 24 years.
- 19 Aug Charles May aged 11 months, son of QM Sgt D. May.
- 29 Aug Charlotte Brown aged 14 months, daughter of Pte William Brown.
- 7 Sep Mary Clarke aged 9 years. daughter of Joseph Clarke.
- 15 Oct John Wilson Campbell aged 2 years, son of Leonard Campbell.
- 23 Oct Pte William Jarvis aged 30 years.
- 12 Nov Pte Henry Mumford aged 28 years.
- 7 Dec Melise Metcalf aged 21 months, daughter of Henry Metcalf.
- 18 Dec William George Gerratt aged 19 months, son of Christopher Gerratt.
1837 59th (2nd Nottinghamshire)
17 June–18 July 1837 During the outbreak of cholera which hit Malta from 9 June to 11 October 1837, the regiment had 80 infected with 13 deaths (5 males, 4 females, 4 children).
Baptisms in 1837:
- 19 Feb Richard Metcalf son of Pte Henry Metcalf and Sarah born on 31 January 1837.
- 19 Feb Mary Ann Hubbert daughter of Pte James Hubbert and Mary Ann born on 8 February.
- 8 Mar Mark Mead son of Pte Samuel Mead and Sarah born on 25 November 1836.
- 17 Apr Mary Ann Allen daughter of Pte Richard Allen and Susan born on 27 March.
- 14 May Isabella Tedford daughter of Pte James Tedford and Isabella born on 26 April.
- 15 May William Bushell son of Pte Shadrach Bushell and Mary born on 8 May.
- 21 May Thomas Moncton son of Cpl Thomas Moncton and Mary born on 9 May.
- 12 June Francis Bloodworth son of Pte Francis Bloodworth and Ellen born on 24 May.
- 3 July Isabella Fraser daughter of Pte William Fraser and Helen born on 5 June.
- 23 July Mary Harriet Butler daughter of Drum Major Edward Smith Butler and Mary Jane born on 24 June.
- 30 July Charles May son of QM Sgt Daniel May and Lois born on 5 July.
- 5 Sep Thomas Stratford Manners son of Capt Richard Manners and Letitia born on 10 August.
- 11 Sep William Stone son of Pte David Stone and Catherine born on 1 September.
- 12 Oct Donald Armstrong son of Sgt Andrew Armstrong and Jane born on 2 October.
- 19 Oct Caroline Johnson daughter of Cpl William Johnson and Mary born on 13 October.
- 20 Nov Sarah Stow son of Pte Sirgent Stow and Sarah born on 25 October.
- 24 Dec Thomas Beerman son of Pte John Beerman and Anne born on 8 December.
Burials in 1837:
- 9 Mar 1837 Pay Master William Erskine Grant aged 54 years. On 7 September 1805, W E Grant became a Lieutenant in the 6th West India Regiment of Foot. He was placed on half pay on 25 Oct 1817. On 24 December 1829, he became Pay Master 59th (2nd Nottinghamshire) Regiment.
1838 59th (2nd Nottinghamshire)
Jan 1838 Strength: 490 men.
Marriages in 1838:
- 8 Jan Bachelor Pte Henry Kelly to Mary Kelly, widow of Pte Miles Kelly 59th Regiment.
- 18 Jan Bachelor Pte Joseph Bowyer to Jane Clarke, widow of Cpl Joseph Clarke 59th Regiment.
- 22 Jan Bachelor Sgt Isaac Harrison to Mary Reynolds, spinster daughter of Sgt James Reynolds 59th Regiment.
- 25 Aug Bachelor Robert Allen to Adelaide Gonzales, spinster daughter of Emmanuele Gonzales.
Baptisms in 1838:
- 25 Jan Mary Ann Hall daughter of Pte William Hall and Anne born on 3 January 1838.
- 5 Feb Mary Ann Shawcross daughter of Pte John Shawcross and Margery born on 1 December 1837.
- 4 Mar William Robinson son of School Master Sgt John Robinson and Margaret born on 5 February.
- 25 Mar William Carden son of Pte John Carden and Sarah born on 8 March.
- 1 Apr Elizabeth Webster daughter of Pte John Webster and Catherine born on 22 March.
- 13 Apr Mary Heaton daughter of Sgt Martin Heaton and Ellen born on 6 April.
- 22 Apr William Appleford son of Cpl John Appleford and Rosanna born on 15 April.
- 7 Aug William Garrett son of Pte Christopher Garrett and Amor born on 6 May.
- 2 Sep Elizabeth Habbart daughter of Pte James Habbart and Mary Anne born on 19 August.
- 3 Sep Mary Anne Pike daughter of Pte William Pike and Sarah born on 22 August.
- 2 Oct Elizabeth Butcher daughter of Sgt John Butcher and Elizabeth born on 5 September.
- 21 Oct John Mead son of Pte Samuel Mead and Sarah born on 10 October.
- 23 Oct Sarah Ingram daughter of Pte Thomas Ingram and Mary born on 11 October.
- 4 Nov Anne Jane Mowhay daughter of Pte Thomas Mowhay and Margaret born on 21 October.
- 26 Nov Maria Halpen daughter of Pte Richard Halpen and Margaret born on 20 November.
- 9 Dec Ellen Clare Wood daughter of L/Sgt John Wood and Mary Ann born on 28 November.
- 17 Dec Charlotte Bowyer daughter of Pte Joseph Bowyer and Sarah born on 26 November.
1839 59th (2nd Nottinghamshire)
Marriages in 1839:
- 4 June Bachelor Lt Adam John Laing Peebles to Elizabeth Mackay, spinster and eldest daughter of John Mackay, deceased.
A. J. L. Peebles became lieutenant 59th Regiment (2nd Nottinghamshire) on 13 June 1834.
- 12 June Bachelor CSgt John Barber to Anne Jones, widow of Pte John Jones 7th Royal Fusiliers.
Baptisms in 1839:
- 25 Jan Private baptism of Edward Butler son of Drum Major Edward Butler and Mary Jane born on 16 January 1839. The child was publicly admitted into the church on 22 April 1839.
- 8 Mar John Andrews son of Pte John Andrews and Elizabeth born on 6 February 1839.
- 17 Mar George Dosson son of Cpl Henry Dosson and Honoria born on 10 March.
- 14 Apr Fanny May daughter of Sgt Major Daniel May and Lois born on 23 March.
- 15 Apr John Beer son of Pte Richard Beer and Joanna born on 4 April.
- 19 May Juliana Thomas daughter of Sgt Thomas Henry Thomas and Sarah born on 3 May.
- 14 July Anne Armstrong daughter of Sgt Andrew Armstrong and Jane, born on 2 July.
- 4 Sep Elizabeth Johnston daughter of Cpl William Johnston and Mary, born on 30 August.
- 8 Sep Margaret Honey daughter of Pte John Honey and Elizabeth, born on 23 August.
- 24 Sep Private baptism of Jane Shawcross daughter of Pte John Shawcross and Margaret, born on 24 September 1839. She was publicly received in the church on 11 November.
- 29 Sep William Anderson son of Pte Robert Anderson and Anne, born on 18 September.
- 29 Dec Hannah Carden daughter of Pte John Carden and Sarah, born on 12 December.
Burials in 1839:
- 27 July William Carden aged 16 months, son of John Carden.
- 28 July Elizabeth Hubbert aged 11 months, daughter of James Hubbert.
- 2 Aug William Appleford aged 1 year, son of John Appleford.
- 4 Sep William Deares aged 21 months, son of Daniel Deares.
- 7 Sep Caroline Byrne aged 33 years, wife of QM Sgt John Byren.
- 9 Sep Ann Jane Mowbey aged 10 months, daughter of Thomas Mowbey.
- 9 Sep Elizabeth Johnston aged 10 days, daughter of Cpl William Johnston.
- 19 Nov William Walsh aged 1 year, son of John Walsh.
1840 59th (2nd Nottinghamshire)
28 Mar 153 men arrived from England on the transport Palmyra.
16–18 Apr The 59th embarked on the Palmyra and sailed for Corfu.
Baptisms in 1840:
- 15 Jan Edward Smith Butler son of Drum Major Edward Smith Butler and Mary Jane, born on 25 December 1839.
- 15 Jan Thomas Stone son of Pte David Stone and Catherine, born on 3 January 1840.
- 2 Feb William Temple son of Pte John Temple and Margaret, born on 21 January.
- 9 Feb Robert Butterworth Harrison son of Sgt Isaac Harrison and Mary, born on 2 February.
- 24 Feb William Arthur Roberts son of Pay Master Charles Roberts and Emma Gertrude, born on 6 November 1839.
- 3 Apr Eliza Appleford daughter of Cpl John Appleford and Rosanna, born on 18 March.
- 5 Apr Charlotte Tedford twin daughter of Pte James Tedford and Isabella, born on 20 March.
- 5 Apr William Tedford twin son of Pte James Tedford and Isabella, born on 20 March.
1841 59th (2nd Nottinghamshire)
13 Jan 1841 Major Gordon, eight officers and their families and 348 men, 43 women and 96 children sailed into the Grand Harbour from Corfu on the troop ship Sapphire. They were admitted to pratique on 20 Jan 1841, before proceeding on the same ship to the West Indies. Adjutant Peebles and his lady were disembarked at Malta together with soldier's wives and children who had joined the regiment without permission.1
Baptisms in 1841:
- 21 Mar Joseph Edgly born on 11 March 1841, son of Cpl Joseph Edgly and Frances.
- 11 Apr James Matthew Pearson born on 1 April, son of Pte James Pearson and Margaret.
- 18 July Mary Dawson born on 8 July, daughter of Sgt Henry Dawson and Honoria.
- 18 July William John Hall born on 30 June, son of Pte William Hall and Anne.
- 25 July Sarah Carden born on 6 July, daughter of Pte John Carden and Sarah.
- Farmer J. S., 1984. The regimental records of the British Army Reprint Edition, Trowbridge, Wiltshire: Crecy Books.
- The Malta Times or Broad Sheet of the Mediterranean, 20 April 1840; Issue No 4.
- 1The Malta Chronicle and United Services Gazette for the Mediterranean, No 1 Malta 14 Jan 1841; Issue No 4.
- TNA:WO 156/595. No 3, Marriage Register from 11 July 1839 to 14 May 1859.
- TNA:WO 156/594. No 2, Marriage Register from 1 January 1820 to 12 June 1839.
- TNA:WO 156/594. No 2, Baptism Register from 2 January 1820 to 29 June 1839.
- TNA:WO 156/595. No 3, Baptism Register from 14 July 1839 to 25 December 1859.