The 57th (West Middlesex) Regiment
The 57th Regiment of Foot was raised in 1755 as the 59th Foot. The following year it was renumbered 57th Foot when the 50th and 51st Regiments were disbanded.
In 1782 the regiment was given its county association with West Middlesex to become The 57th (West Middlesex) Regiment.
On 1 July 1881, the 57th (West Middlesex) Regiment amalgamated with the 77th (East Middlesex) Regiment (The Duke of Cambridge's Own) to form The Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex Regiment).
The 57th (West Middlesex) Regiment
1855 57th (West Middlesex)
12 July 1855 Burial of Pte James Tilby 57th Regiment aged 26 years.
1856 57th (West Middlesex)
2 June 1856 The 57th arrived from the Crimea. It had 734 men.
The following were buried in 1856:
- 19 Jan Pte William Haynes 57th Regiment aged 37 years.
- 21 Aug Sgt James Lock aged 28 years.
The following were married in 1856:
- 11 Sep In the Collegiate Church of St Paul's Valletta, Bachelor CSgt John Coughlan to Anne Batt, spinster, of Royston Hertfordshire.
- 11 Sep In the Collegiate Church of St Paul's Valletta, Bachelor Paymaster Sgt James Batten to Margaret McCrea, widow.
1857 57th (West Middlesex)
1857 The men were at Verdala Barracks. Battalion strength (1 Mar 1857) was 774 men.
18 Mar There was a riotous disturbances in Senglea, when the military piquets drew their bayonets upon the police constabulary. Pt James Evans 57th Regt was sentenced to 45 days custody for running a bayonet through the shirt of constable Antonio Busuttil.
The following were buried in Floriana in 1857:
- 3 Aug Pte James Forsyth 57th Regiment aged 26 years.
- 29 Sep Mary Ansford wife of Pte Charles Ansford 57th Regiment aged 29 years (Military and Civil Cemetery Floriana).
- 20 Sep No 1782 Pte James Burgess 57th Regiment aged 24 years Knight 5th Class of the French Legion of Honour.
- 26 Sep Mary Ansford 57th Regiment aged 29 years.
- 16 Oct Sarah Eliza Dexter aged 48 days, daughter of Pte Dexter.
The following were married in the Collegiate Church of St Paul's Valletta in 1857:
- 23 Feb Bachelor Cpl Thomas Brisley born in Essex to Eliza Coughlan spinster, daughter of Pte Edward Coughlan 57th Regiment.
- 2 Apr Bachelor L/Cpl Thomas Wood to Sophia Archer, spinster daughter of William Archer.
- 26 Sep Bachelor Sgt Major George Cumming born in Banffshire, Scotland to Catharine Belsom spinster, born in Kilkenny Ireland, daughter of George and Mary Belsom.
1858 57th (West Middlesex)
1 Mar 1858 Strength: Rank and File 571 (Effective) 2 Coys at Aden, 600 (Established). Together with 14th Foot and 21st Foot, the ten companies of 57th Foot formed part of 1st Brigade.
The following were buried in Floriana in 1858:
- 18 Jan Pte John Nicholls 57th Regiment aged 26 years 10 months.
- 29 Apr Alice Owens aged 26 years.
31 Mar In the Collegiate Church of St Paul's Valletta, Bachelor CSgt Robert Frazer married Anne Carson, spinster daughter of James Carson 57th Regiment.
11 May 1858 The 57th (West Middlesex) left for Bombay.
The 2nd/57th The Middlesex Regiment
June–Nov 1913 The 2nd/Middlesex Regiment arrived at Malta.
13 Sep 1914 On 13 Sep, HT Ships Gallicia, Nevasa and Galika arrived at Malta with the Territorial Brigade of the 1st City of London Royal Fusiliers.
15 Sep HT Ships Nevasa and Galika sailed from Malta with the 2nd/West Yorkshire Regiment and the 2nd/Middlesex Regiment.
- Farmer J. S., 1984. The regimental records of the British Army Reprint Edition, Trowbridge, Wiltshire: Crecy Books.
- Edwards T. J., 1980. Regimental Badges First Edition, Tonbridge, Kent: Ernest Benn Ltd.
- Cannon J., 1990, The Msida Bastion Cemetery Malta. Bucks Cannon Associates.
- TNA:WO 156/113. Register of burials Sep 1853 to June 1862.
- TNA:WO 156/122; List of gravestones at the Military and Civil Cemetery Msida 1801–1865 and the Quarantine Bastion Cemetery 1819–1867 compiled by the Rev D B L Foster Assistant Chaplain General Western Mediterranean in May 1939.
- TNA:WO 156/595. No 3, Marriage Register 11 July 1839 to 14 May 1859.