The 47th (Lancashire) Regiment
The 47th Foot was raised in 1741, as Colonel John Mordaunt's Regiment of Foot.
In 1751, it was numbered 47 in the army's order of precedence. It received its affiliation to Lancashire in 1782.
In 1881, the 47th (Lancashire) Regiment amalgamated with the 81st (Loyal Lincoln Volunteers) Regiment to become the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment.
In 1920, the regimental title changed to The Loyal Regiment (North Lancashire).
The 1st/47th (Lancashire) Regiment
1837 1st/47th (Lancashire)
22 Feb 1837 A detachment of 219 men 1st/47th arrived from Gibraltar.
8 Mar Another 260 men arrived from Gibraltar.
9 June – 11 Oct A Cholera epidemic broke out in Malta. Between 17 June and 18 July 1837 the regiment had 65 ill soldiers with 16 deaths (1 officer, 9 males, 5 females, 1 child).
Marriages in 1837:
- 12 May Bachelor Pte Laughlan Fraser to Catherine Fallon, widow of Pte John Fallon 47th Regiment.
- 8 Nov Widower Sgt William Duck to Anne Shakespear, widow of Theophilus Shakespear 47th Regiment.
Baptisms in 1837:
- 19 Mar Henry McDermott son of Pte Henry McDermott and Isabella born on 7 March.
- 16 July Elizabeth Keall daughter of Pte Thomas Keall and Jane born on 4 July.
- 2 Aug Richard Paul Elrington son of Lt Col Richard Goodall Elrington 47th Foot and Mary Clancay born on 1 July.
- 1 Oct George Mathews son of Sgt John Mathews and Frances born on 17 September.
- 5 Nov Alexander Brown son of Sgt James Brown and Susannah born on 26 October.
- 12 Nov Elizabeth Bratty daughter of Pte James Bratty and Elizabeth born on 7 October.
- 10 Dec Margaret Victoria Sinnott daughter of Ensign and Adjutant John Sinnott and Anne Jane born on 10 October.
J. Sinnott became ensign and adjutant 47th (Lancashire) Regiment on 25 July 1837.
1838 1st/47th (Lancashire)
Marriages in 1838:
- 31 July Bachelor Sgt William Hornby aged upwards of twenty one years to Anne Amelia Griffiths, aged 20 years, spinster daughter of Armourer Sgt Samuel Griffiths 47th Regiment, with the consent of her parents.
- 28 Aug Bachelor L/Cpl George Pinner aged upwards of twenty one years to Catherine Davis, spinster and minor, having the consent of her father Sgt John Davis 47th Regiment.
- 7 Sep Bachelor Pte Daniel Dempsey aged upwards of twenty one years to Winfred Kennedy, spinster and minor, having the consent of her father Pte John Kennedy 47th Regiment.
Baptisms in 1838:
- 28 Jan Margaret Lawson daughter of CSgt John Lawson and Sarah born on 23 December 1837.
- 11 Mar William John Finniston son of Pte John Finniston and Sarah born on 2 March 1838.
- 29 May Charlotte Davies daughter of Cpl John Davies and Elizabeth born on 8 May.
- 23 Sep Anne Jane Whitmarsh daughter of Daniel Whitmarsh and Susannah born on 13 September.
- 6 Nov Henry Gallegher son of Schoolmaster Sgt Vernon Gallegher and Mary born on 25 October.
1839 1st/47th (Lancashire)
Marriages in 1839:
- 12 Mar Bachelor Lt J. Watson to Mrs Shedden, widow of W. Shedden Esq.
- 6 June Widower Sgt William Dick to Sophia Killam, widow of Pte James Killam 47th Regiment.
- 11 July Bachelor Sgt Charles Finnerty married Elizabeth Mathews, spinster daughter of Sgt John Mathews 47th Regiment under license of Lt Gen Sir H Bouverie Governor of Malta.
Baptisms in 1839:
- 21 Feb Mary Brown daughter of Sgt James Brown and Susannah born on 30 January 1839.
- 22 Feb Private baptism of Jane Boxsold daughter of Pte George Boxsold and Jane born on 20 February 1839. She was publicly received into the church by the name of Mary Jane on 15 March 1839.
- 23 Feb Private baptism of John Pinner son of Pte George Pinner and Catherine born on 23 February. He was publicly received into the church on 15 March 1839.
- 6 Mar Private baptism of Hannah Dempsey daughter of Pte Daniel Dempsey and Winifred born on 27 February 1839. She was publicly received into the church on 8 March 1839.
- 9 Mar Private baptism of William Richard Hornby son of Sgt William Hornby and Anne Amelia born on 24 February. He was publicly received into the church on 13 March 1839.
- 15 Mar Mary Ann Williamson daughter of Sgt Robert Williamson and Jane born on 24 February.
- 11 Apr Margaret Laura Pearson daughter of Drm James Pearson and Margaret born on 28 March.
- 6 May George McFaddan son of Pte George McFaddan and Louisa born on 24 March.
- 21 June Eliza Jane Donaghue daughter of Pte Richard Donaghue and Mary Anne born on 26 May.
- 14 July Eliza Lawson daughter of Sgt John Lawson and Sarah, born on 27 June.
- 5 Aug John St Elmo Sinnott son of Ensign and Adjutant John Sinnott and Anne Jane, born on 12 July.
- 13 Oct Thomas Keal son of Pte Thomas Keal deceased and Jane, born on 1 October.
- 14 Oct William Davis son of Sgt John Davis and Elizabeth, born on 6 October.
- 5 Dec Mary Kilpatrick daughter of Cpl William Kilpatrick and Mary, born on 5 December.
Burials in 1839:
- 30 July Drum Major John Jones aged 30 years.
- 31 July Pte Thomas Keale aged 28 years.
- 4 Aug Eliza Lawson aged 1 month, daughter of Sgt Lawson.
- 18 Aug John St Elmo Sinnott son of Lt and Adjt John Sinnott. J Sinnott became Adjutant 47th (The Lancashire) Regiment on 25 July 1837.
- 25 Aug Pte Dennis Silver aged 21 years.
1840 1st/47th (Lancashire)
28 Mar 1840 A detachment of 145 men 1st/47th (Lancashire) Regiment arrived from England on the transport Palmyra.
Marriages in 1840:
- 20 Jan Bachelor L/Cpl William Fervill to Anne Jones, widow of Drm Major John Jones of the same regiment.
- 22 Sep Bachelor Cpl Thomas Mehaffey to Mary Ann Donaghue, widow of Richard Donaghue.
Baptisms in 1840:
- 9 Feb Anne Bratty daughter of Pte James Bratty and Eliza, born on 19 January 1840.
- 27 Mar Mary Ann Matthews daughter of Pte John Matthews and Frances, born on 1 February.
- 20 Apr Rowland Henry Warburton son of Captain Henry William Egerton Warburton and Harriet Elizabeth, born on 20 March.
- 17 May Susannah Whitmarsh daughter of Daniel Whitmarsh and Susannah, born on 7 May.
- 18 Nov Ellen Boxold daughter of Pte George Boxold and Jane, born on 17 November 1840. The child died on 30 November.
1841 1st/47th (Lancashire)
11 Feb 606 men, 41 women and 88 children sailed for the West Indies to relieve the 74th (Highland) Regiment of Foot.1 Six companies of the 47th arrived in Barbados on 5 Apr 1841.
Baptisms in 1841:
- 24 Jan Twin Catherine Lawson born on 15 January 1841, daughter of Pte John Lawson and Sarah.
- 24 Jan Twin Eliza Lawson born on 15 January, daughter of Pte John Lawson and Sarah.
Burials in 1841:
- 13 Jan 1841 Death of Captain (Paymaster) Clarke 47th Foot from a rupture of a blood vessel in his lungs.
Captain Clarke had served for 41 years, seven years in the Lancashire Militia and thirty-four years in the 47th Regiment. He was in his 63rd year. He entered the army as an ensign in the 1st/47th Foot on 12 August 1807.
He was promoted Lieutenant on 5 Nov 1807. From 1809 to 1812, Capt Clarke was employed in recruiting. In 1812, he was transferred to the second battalion, but re-transferred to the first battalion in 1813. He joined his corps in the East Indies where he served with it during the various campaigns of 1817-1818, and afterwards in the Burmese War of 1824-1825. On 19 March 1824, he was promoted to a company.
On 27 Sep 1830, Captain Clarke became paymaster following the death of Paymaster Milton at Calcutta in 1826. On 23 Sept 1834, Captain (Paymaster) Clarke embarked with the 47th at India for Gibraltar and subsequently move with the regiment to Malta.
- 8 Feb 1841 Death of QM Michael Nagle 47th Foot.
The 1st/47th (Lancashire) Regiment
1853 1st/47th (Lancashire)
2 Apr 1853 The 1st/47th (Lancashire) Regiment embarked at Corfu on 28 March 1853, disembarking at Malta on 2 April.
The 47th Foot moved from Isola Gate, St Francesco de Paolo and Inquisitor's Palace to the recently constructed Fort Verdala. It was the first infantry regiment to occupy Fort Verdala.
Marriages in 1853:
- 12 Dec In the Collegiate Church of St Paul's Valletta Bachelor Sgt John Wood born at Stonehouse Plymouth, son of Jonathan and Mary Wood, residing in Malta, married Anna Maria Giddens, born at Woolwich Kent, spinster and minor, with the consent of her guardian John Purcell, daughter of Samuel and Mary Giddens (now Mary Purcell).
Baptisms in 1853:
- 10 June William Kellshaw Hornby born 20 May 1853, son of Ann Amelia and CSgt William Hornby.
- 10 June Elizabeth Battams Pettam born 12 May 1853, daughter of Martha and Sgt John Pettam.
- 17 June Helen Mackintosh born 25 April 1853, daughter of Ellen and QM William Mackintosh.
- 25 Nov Harriet Ann Hicks born on 9 November 1853, daughter of Sarah Jane and School Master Sgt Charles Hicks.
- 25 Nov Elizabeth Wolstenholme born on 27 October 1853, daughter of Ellen and Sgt Joseph Wolstenholme.
- 16 Dec Elizabeth Coleman born on 14 November 1853, daughter of Elizabeth and Pte John Coleman.
Burials in 1853:
- 19 Aug Infant John Dowdney aged 7 days, son of Samuel Edmond Dowdney.
- 12 Oct Helen Mackintosh aged 6 months, daughter of QM William Mackintosh.
- 13 Oct Mary Anne Downey aged 2 years 5 months, daughter of Sgt Edward Downey.
- 19 Nov L/Sgt William Henry Smith aged 30 years.
1854 1st/47th (Lancashire)
10 Apr 845 men and 6 women embarked on board the Apollo for Turkey.
Nov 1854 In November, the regiment had 29 officers and 945 men serving in the Crimea. Diarrhoea was common among the men and was blamed by the surgeon on the inclement weather, exposure to the cold, and hard duty. Cholera broke out among the recently arrived recruits; there were five deaths from cholera, two from gunshot wounds and two from diarrhoea.
Baptisms in 1854:
- 10 Feb James Arthur born 31 January 1854, son of Anna Maria and L/Cpl Henry Arthur.
- 13 Mar John Hay born on 24 February 1854, son of Jane Ann and Pte John Hay.
Burials in 1854:
- 8 Mar Pte David Madill aged 23 years.
1855 1st/47th (Lancashire)
The 47th fought in the Crimean War (1854-56). It was present at Alma (1854) Inkerman (1854) and Sevastopol (1854-55).
Baptisms in 1855:
- 3 June Hanson Francis Woods born 19 January 1855, son of Anna Maria and Sgt John Woods.
Burials in 1855:
- 1 Jan Pte Joseph Beag.
- 2 May Pte Joseph Macmur aged 24 years.
- 21 May Pte John Green aged 27 years.
1856 1st/47th (Lancashire)
2 June 1856 The 1st/47th embarked in the Crimea on 27 May 1856, disembarking at Malta on 2 June.
Marriages in the Collegiate Church of St Paul's Valletta in 1856:
- 7 Aug Bachelor CSgt Richard Lethbridge Yeabsley born in Yealmpton, Devonshire, son of Nathaniel and Ann Yeabsley married Charlotte Hickie, spinster daughter of Eliza and Steward Henry Hickie Medical Staff Corps.
Baptisms in 1856:
- 2 June Florence Philips born on 1 June 1856 , daughter of Caroline and Capt Nathaniel George Philips 47th Regiment.
- 8 Oct John Henry Dalton born 22 June 1856, son of Mary and Sgt John Henry Dalton 47th Regiment.
1857 1st/47th (Lancashire)
1 Mar Battalion strength 772 men.
25 May 1857 The 1st/47th embarked for Gibraltar. It left the Rock for Portsmouth on 18 August 1857.
Marriages in 1857:
- 18 Mar In the Collegiate Church of St Paul's Valletta, Bachelor Sgt James Rance married Jane Sweeney, spinster daughter of Martin and Elizabeth Sweeney of Castlebar County Mayo, Ireland.
Baptisms in 1857:
- 20 May Edmund Richard Dowdney born 12 May 1857, son of Jane and Sgt Edmund Dowdney.
Burials in the Floriana Cemetery in 1857:
- 27 Feb 1857 Edward Downey aged 8 years 6 months, son of Sgt Maj Edward Downey 47th Regiment.
- Farmer J. S., 1984. The regimental records of the British Army Reprint Edition, Trowbridge, Wiltshire: Crecy Books.
- Edwards T. J., 1980. Regimental Badges First Edition, Tonbridge, Kent: Ernest Benn Ltd.
- 1The Malta Times or Broad Sheet of the Mediterranean, Issue No 31 (5 September 1840).
- TNA:WO 156/113. Register of burials September 1853 to June 1862.
- TNA:WO 156/595. No 3, Marriage Register from 11 July 1839 to 14 May 1859.
- TNA:WO 156/594. No 2, Marriage Register from 1 January 1820 to 12 June 1839.
- TNA:WO 156/594. No 2, Baptism Register from 2 January 1820 to 29 June 1839.
- TNA:WO 156/595. No 3, Baptism Register from 14 July 1839 to 25 December 1859.