The 1st/Royal West Kent Regiment had an average strength of 950 men (8 coys). It had 482 admissions (507.3/1000 mean strength) into hospital with 7 deaths (7.36/1000 mean strength) including 2 among the invalids. 19 invalids returned to England.
Its average constantly sick was 29.11 (30.64/1000 mean strength). The average sick time to each soldier was 11.18 days. The average duration of cases of sickness was 22.04 days.
The 1st/Royal West Kent Regiment was at Fort Ricasoli for 1 month and 3 weeks and at Fort Manoel for 10 months and one week. It had detachments at Pembroke Camp for 10 months.
8 Jan 1890Albert Henry Beckhuson aged 5 months, died at Fort Salvatore and was buried in Rinella Military Cemetery.
The following were buried in Pietà Military Cemetery in 1890:
15 May Infant Elizabeth Reddersen aged 9 months, daughter of Sgt Reddersen.
9 June Pte F Magness aged 23 years.
16 June Cpl Henry John Sackree aged 23 years.
9 Oct Pte James McLaughlin aged 23 years 10 months.
28 Mar 1904 Burial of Pte Edward Gazzard aged 20 yrs 10 mths at Mtarfa Military Cemetery (Plot 4, Row 3, Grave 9).
15 Apr The 1st Battalion embarked on the Soudan at Southampton. It disembarked at Malta on 15 April.
The men were placed under canvass at Pembroke and Mellieha for a month prior to their move to Floriana Barracks. The Battalion remained at Floriana Barracks apart from a month in camp in Nov/Dec 1904, and three weeks in Mar 1905.
18 Oct 1904 Burial of Louisa Ermmaline Dark aged 25 yrs wife of Sgt Dark at Mtarfa Military Cemetery (Plot 1, Row 1, Grave 1).
29 Nov 1905 Henry John Winter Royal West Kent Regiment, was refused permission by the ecclesiastical authorities of Malta to marry Rosina Spiteri unless he produced satisfactory evidence that he was not already married.
The battalion occupied Floriana Barracks. This included Salvatore Counter Guard and Notre Dame Ravelin. The "Old Barracks" consisted of a range of 12 casemate rooms about 80 feet in length, each accommodating 30 men. There were no window openings. The Malta Civil Hospital occupied the upper part of a building, on the ground floor of which were the regimental stores. There was no communication between the ground and upper floors. 360 soldiers occupied the "Old Barracks". The barracks overlooked the Ospizio.
San Salvatore Counter guard consisted of small casemated rooms with a scarp wall in front of the rooms. It accommodated 30 signalers.
Notre Dame Ravelin Barracks was a single storey building consisting of a range of 16 small rooms on the ground floor with five men in each. It also had seven huts resting on a concrete platform each for 18 men.
One company was quartered in Notre Dame Ravelin Barracks, with another company split between one room in the "Old Barracks" and two huts in the Ravelin. The band occupied huts in the Ravelin. San Salvatore Counter guard and the Ravelin together held 245 soldiers out of a battalion strength of 923.
The New Barracks consisted of three separate two-storey blocks each accommodating one company. Each room held 26 men. Three companies (318 soldiers) were quartered in the "New Barracks".
1 Feb–1 May 1905 "B" Coy was in camp at Ghajn Tuffieha. 37 cases of Mediterranean Fever were admitted to hospital during the battalion's first nine months in Malta.
It guarded the only radar station on Dingli Cliffs and was responsible for the security of Luqa Airfield, and the training of the Home Guard. The 2nd Battalion was also entrusted with the defence of Marsaxlokk and the south coast, including Wied Iz Zurrieq and Ghar Lapsi. "D" Coy formed part of Northern Brigade under Brig W. H. Oxley.
27 Jan 1940 2nd/Royal West Kent moved into St George's Barracks from billets and Mtarfa Barracks. Handed over Mtarfa Barracks to 2nd/KOMR. Major W H G Goater 2nd/RWK was Commandant Pembroke Area. 2nd/Royal West Kent Regiment took over Reserve Battalion from 2nd/Devon and all Passive Air Defence (PAD) responsibilities in the Pembroke area from 2nd/Devonshire Regiment and the accommodation at Ta' Qali.
Apr 2nd/Royal West Kent lines were at St George's Barracks. In April 1940, the troops moved to their war stations except the Reserve Battalion 2nd/RWK which remained at St George's Barracks. On 16 May 1940, the Reserve Battalion was split to guard Ta' Qali, Luqa and Hal Far aerodromes.
20 May 2nd/Royal West Kent Bn HQ opened at Farsons Pavilion Grid 462235 at the Marsa Sports Club. The regiment was tasked with protecting Valletta against the ingress of parachutists. Rifle positions were set up at Marina Pinto, Dogs Home, Sa Maison and Portes des Bombes.
30 June 1940 Strength: 25 Officers and 678 men. The 2nd Battalion vacated Wolseley tented camp overlooking Delimara and moved into billets at Tarxien.
6 June 171516 Capt J C Seddon RAMC was RMO 2nd/Royal West Kent Regiment.
11 June 1943 The 2nd/Queen's Own (Royal West Kent) left for Samos in the Aegean Sea.
The 2nd/Queen's Own (Royal West Kent) had garrisoned Malta throughout the siege and was awarded the Battle Honour Malta 1940–42.
The 3rd/Royal West Kent (1st Kent Militia)
R de M Rudolf in his Campaign Histories of the Infantry Regiments of the British Army page 504 has this to say on the 3rd/Royal West Kent Regt:
During the South African War the 3rd Battalion was embodied, and after serving at Chatham was the first Militia Battalion to embark for service abroad, and as it was not then the intention of sending militia or volunteers to the seat of war, the 3rd Battalion was stationed at Malta in January 1900, where it remained until June 1901. Whilst at Malta, the battalion sent a detachment of mounted infantry to the war, consisting of 20 men, one of whom was killed, one died of disease and two wounded.