Regiments of the Malta Garrison 16th (Bedfordshire Regiment)
The 16th (Bedfordshire Regiment)
The 16th Foot was raised in 1688 as Colonel James Douglas' Regiment of Foot. In 1751 it became the 16th Regiment of Foot and in 1782 it was given the county association with Buckinghamshire. In 1809, the county title was exchanged with the 14th at the request of the colonel of that regiment, to become the 16th (Bedfordshire) Regiment of Foot.
On 1 July 1881 the 16th Foot became the 1st Battalion of the Bedfordshire Regiment. The Hart, the badge of the Hertford Militia, was incorporated into the badge in 1881, when the Hertford Militia became a battalion of the Bedfordshire.
In 1919, the name Hertfordshire was incorporated into the title under Army Order 269. This was in recognition of the men from Hertfordshire who served with the Bedfordshire Regiment during the Great War.
In 1958 the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment amalgamated with the Essex Regiment to become the 3rd/East Anglian Regiment.
The 1st/Bedfordshire Regiment
On 1 July 1881 the 16th Foot became The 1st Battalion of the Bedfordshire Regiment.
Feb Left for Shanghai as part of the International Defence Force during China's Civil War between nationalists and communists. The regiment was tasked to protect the port and the European population in Shanghai.