Regiments of the Malta Garrison The 17th (Leicestershire) Regiment of Foot
The 17th (Leicestershire) Regiment of Foot
The 17th Foot was raised in 1688 as Colonel Solomon Richard's Regiment of Foot.
It was numbered 17th in 1751, to which the title Leicestershire was added in 1782.
On 1 July 1881, it became The Leicestershire Regiment.
In 1946, the regiment was given its Royal prefix to become The Royal Leicestershire Regiment.
In 1964 The Royal Leicestershire became the 4th (Leicestershire) Royal Anglian Regiment. In 1968, it dropped the county title to become the 4th Royal Anglian Regiment. The regiment was disbanded in 1975.