RAMC Officers
Of the Malta Garrison
Frederick Whalley
1884 –1963

24268 Colonel Frederick Whalley

CBE DSO (1918) KHP TD MB ChB (Leeds 1905) DA

c.1884 – 22 Jan 1963 [Headingley]

Service Record

1905 Educated at Leeds. Graduated MB ChB in 1905.
While still a student joined the Volunteer Medical Staff Corps as a private soldier. Won the anatomy prize. After graduation was house-physician to Dr Thomas Churton and house-surgeon at the Women's and Children's Hospital Leeds.

1906 Travelled to West African ports as a ship surgeon in the SS Zaria of the Elder Dempster line. On his return to Headingley Dr. Whalley married Hannah Elizabeth White, a member of the nursing staff of the General Infirmary at Leeds.
Established his own practice in Headingley. Worked in general practice for over fifty years.

1908 Transferred to the Territorial Forces in Leeds. Promoted section leader, later captain.
On the outbreak of the Great War he achieved the rank of Major RAMC (TA).

28 July 1914 Start of the Great War.
4 Aug 1914 Britain declares war on Germany.

1915 Proceeding to France as second in command of the Second West Riding Field Ambulance. He was promoted Brevet Lieutenant Colonel and DADMS to the 49th Division. Later was promoted to command the First West Riding Field Ambulance.

1 Jan 1918 Became a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) (London Gazette).

Post 1919 On the reorganisation of the Territorial Army after the WW I, he continued in command of the Second West Riding Field Ambulance and was Assistant Director of Medical Services to the 49th Division.

Oct 1920 Conferred the Territorial Decoration (TD).

1938 Raised the 4th (First Northern) Hospital, later the 18th General Hospital, with medical and nursing recruited from the Leeds Hospitals. On the outbreak of the second world war the hospital proceeded to France under the command of Colonel Whalley. On the collapse of the Allied Forces in France personnel and patients were evacuated through Boulogne.

1939–1944 Honorary Physician to King George VI.

24 July 1941 Appointed Commanding Officer 45 General Hospital St Patricks. Took over command from Major G F Edwards who had been Acting Officer Commanding from 25 June 1941.

1942 Commanding Officer 45 General Hospital St Patricks. On 23 April 1942, 39 General Hospital at St Andrews was destroyed by enemy bombing and the staff and patients were transferred to 45th General.

24 Feb 1942 Away from 45 General Hospital on duty as Acting DDMS. Command of 45 GH temporarily in the hands of Lt Col S J Hartfall officer-in-charge Medical Division 45 GH.

18 Mar 1942 Fell ill; admitted to No 45 General hospital with an upper respiratory tract infection. During his absence Col A C MacDonald commanding officer 39 General Hospital took on the duties of A/DDMS. Col F Whalley resumed his duties as A/DDMS on 23 March 1942.

3 Apr 1942 Col A S Heale arrived in Malta during the night by seaplane at Kalafrana and took over the duties of DDMS Malta Command from Col F Whalley who returned to No 45 General Hospital.

3 July 1943 Handed command of 45 GH to Colonel R E Rees MC TD RAMC who arrived from the Middle East.

Malta 8 July 1943 Returned to England.

14 Oct 1943 Appointed an Additional Commander of the Military Division of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Malta (London Gazette).

DDMS Malta Colonel William Kenneth Morrison wrote: "Colonel Frederick Whalley is an officer with a long and distinguished service in the Territorial Army Medical Services. He is an officer with a marked personality and with exceptional powers of leadership. As an example to others, although over the normal age, after his return from France in 1940, he volunteered for active service again as Officer Commanding a General Hospital, and was sent to Malta. Arriving during the Siege of Malta, he established and organised his hospital under conditions of difficulty and danger. On the occasion when his hospital was dive bombed he displayed great personal courage and set a high standard of conduct and morale".

1944 Resumed his practice in Headingley and also his post as consultant anaesthetist to Leeds General Infirmary.

1948 Retired from his post as consultant anaesthetist to the Leeds General Infirmary, which he occupied from after the First World War until his retirement.
Honorary medical officer to the Victoria Home for Invalid Ladies in Leeds.

22 Jan 1963 Died at his home in Headingley, aged 79 years, after a long illness.