388389 Lieutenant Colonel Brian Alan Gavourin
MRCS (Eng) LRCP (Lond 1947) MB BS (Lond 1948) MRCOG (1955) FRCS (Glas 1963)
16 Nov 1923 [London] – 2015 [Hayling Island Hampshire]
29 Feb 1948 Granted an Emergency Commission with the rank of Lieutenant RAMC (London Gazette 2 April 1948 Supplement 38253, page 2200).
1948–1949 Served in East Africa.
1 Mar 1949 Captain RAMC.
7 Jan 1950 Released.
Oct 1953 Appointed Registrar in Obstetrics and Gynaecology May Day Hospital Croydon.
1 May 1955 Granted a Permanent Regular Army Commission Lieutenant RAMC with seniority from 22 August 1948 (London Gazette 20 May 1955 Supplement 40484, page 2995).
1955 Senior Specialist in Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
Served at the Louise Margaret Maternity Hospital Aldershot.
1955–1958 Served at BMH Hostert (British Army of the Rhine).
22 Aug 1956 Major RAMC.
1958–1959 Served at BMH Bowen Road Hong Kong (Far East Land Force).
1959–1960 Served at BMH Singapore (Far East Land Force).
1961–1962 Served at the Military Families Hospital Woolwich.
1 Apr 1962 Promoted Lieutenant Colonel RAMC (London Gazette 31 August 1962 Supplement 42772, page 6978).
1964 Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
1964 Served at the Royal Naval Hospital Mtarfa.
1965 Served at the Royal Naval Hospital Mtarfa. Arranged with Prof Arthur P Camilleri FRCOG, Professor of Obstetrics at the Medical School of the Royal University of Malta, for medical students to have regular tuitions and visits at the military maternity unit Mtarfa.
1966 Obstetrician Royal Naval Hospital Mtarfa.
1966 Served at the British Military Families Iserlohn Germany.
1971 Promoted Colonel L/RAMC.
18 Dec 1980 Appointed an Officer (Brother) of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem.
- Entry No: 1997. Drew R. 1968. Commissioned Officers in the Medical Services of the British Army 1690—1960. Vol. II. Roll of Officers in the Royal Army Medical Corps 1898–1960, London: Wellcome Historical Medical Library.
- Medical News, Br Med J (1953), 2 (4840): 839 (Published 10 October 1953).
- Savona-Ventura C., 2009. The history of midwifery education in the Maltese Islands Department of Obstetrics-Gynaecology, San Gwan Malta, 35.
- Death Notices, JRSM (2015), 108 (2) 75.
- Gavourin B. A., From Plain to Royal, a short history of the Royal Herbert Hospital from 1865 to 1903. J Roy Army Med Corps (1976), 122, 94 to 107.
- Gavourin B. A., The birth of Margaret Sandom. Military Maternity Hospital Woolwich. J Roy Army Med Corps (1976), 122, 47 to 49.