Lieutenant Fannin Edward Morgan
BA MB BCh (Dubl 1897)
? – 8 Mar 1935
Dr Edward Morgan Fannin graduated from the University of Dublin in 1897 and was for many years attached to the Drumcondra Hospital. He was a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland, and at one time took an active interest in its administration.
Dr Fannin's grandfather had established Fannin and Company Ltd, with premises in 41 Grafton Street Dublin and at 38 Wellington Place, Belfast. The firm traded in surgical instruments and appliances, sold and published medical books and supplied surgical hosiery, trusses, artificial limbs and orthopaedic apparatuses. Dr Fannin took a personal interest in the working of the Grafton Street premises and contributed in its medical aspects to its general usefulness to the medical profession.
Dr Fannin was a leading member of the Methodist congregation. He was a Council Member of the Dublin Rotary Club, and actively engaged with its philanthropic undertakings on behalf of children.1
1897 Graduated from Dublin University and was for many years attached to the Drumcondra Hospital.
Sep 1913 Elected a member of the Intern Committee of the Dublin Rotary Club to look after matters relating to the internal matters of the club.
23 Mar 1914 Elected to the council of the Rotary Club in Dublin.
28 July 1914 Start of the Great War.
4 Aug 1914 Britain declares war on Germany.
Dr E M Fannin was mobilized at the start of the Great War and was posted to Malta in 1916 where he served in St George's Barracks Hospital and St Andrew's Barracks Hospital Malta.
11 Aug 1916 Birth of a daughter to Lt Edward M Fannin MB RAMC (T) of Dublin and Norah Sidford Fannin.
8 Mar 1935 Resident at Sliema, Dublin Road, Sutton County Dublin. Died at a nursing home in the city.
- Personal correspondence Bonnici/McConnell.
- 1Obituary Dr E M Fannin Br Med J (1935); 1:682 (Published 30 March 1935).