RAMC Officers
Of the Malta Garrison
John Richard Bolton
1913 –1977

125277 Captain John Richard Bolton

MBE (1944) MD FRCP

30 Oct 1913 [Plymouth] – 25 Dec 1977 [At sea]

John Richard Bolton was educated at Plymouth Grammar School, and won a scholarship to Blundell's School. Here, he showed great distinction, leaving as a scholar for Trinity College, Cambridge, where he read mathematics for two years and then changed to medicine. He graduated BA in 1936. Then followed clinical studies at the London Hospital, where he qualified in 1939. Before being commissioned in the RAMC he held appointments as receiving room officer at the London Hospital and as house physician at Poplar Hospital.

Service Record

11 Dec 1940 Detached from 161st (EA) Fld Amb. Posted to No 11 Depôt and Training Establishment RAMC Becketts Park Leeds for trooping duties on an outward voyage to a temperate climate and will remain at the destination.

14 Jan 1941 Embarked at Scotland for Gibraltar with 161s (EA) Field Ambulance on 17 December 1940. Disembarked at Malta during the blitz on HMS Illustrious.

29 Apr 1941 Promoted War Substantive Captain with effect of 7 March 1941 (War Office Order No 14 dated 3 April 1941).

7 Nov 1942 Acting officer-in-charge No 57 Field Hygiene Section. Relinquished temporary command to Major R Bennett.

12 Mar 1943 Posted from 161st (EA) Fld Amb to No 39 General Hospital.

1 July 1943 Left No 39 General Hospital on posting to No 90 GH as a General Duties Medical Officer. Colonel A C MacDonald, commanding officer 39th GH described him as "A most capable officer who will be a great loss to this unit".

9 – 31 July 1943 Attached to Reception Station Sliema for temporary duty. Returned to 90 GH as General Duties Medical Officer.General Duties Medical Officer 90 Gh from 25 June 1943

9 Feb 1944 Posted to No 1 General Hospital.

6 January 1944 Appointed an Additional Member of the Military Division of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Malta (London Gazette).

Served in Italy with the rank of major. Became a full medical specialist, having taken the MRCP in 1945.

After demobilisation he returned to the London Hospital as registrar to the professorial unit and in 1948 became assistant director of the unit to Professor Clifford Wilson, where he worked on problems of hypertension and diabetes.

1952 Moved to Bath as physician to the Bath clinical area, where he also undertook the establishment and organisation of a geriatric department. For 25 years he worked at St Martin's Hospital.

1976 Retired from Consultant Physician to the Bath Group of hospitals to his s Cornwall home at Padstow.

25 Dec 1977 Died tragically at sea aged 64 years.