RAMC Officers
Of the Malta Garrison
Herbert Raymond Bateman
1876 –1961

Colonel Herbert Raymond Bateman

DSO (1915) MRCS (Eng) LRCP (Lond 1900)

28 Oct 1876 [Sangoor India] – 1 Apr 1961 [Worthing Sussex]

H R Bateman
Col Herbert Raymond Bateman DSO OC Depôt 30 Sep 1927-10 Apr 1930 (RAMC/1328)

Colonel Herbert Raymond Bateman was the son of Colonel D F Bateman IMS. He was educated privately; afterwards he enrolled as a medical student at St Thomas' Hospital from where he qualified in 1900.

He was commissioned a Lieutenant in the Royal Army Medical Corps on 29 November 1900, and specialised in Bacteriology. From 1908 to 1910, he formed part of the Royal Society's Uganda Sleeping Sickness Commission.

On 25 September 1908, Colonel Sir David Bruce FRS AMS, who had been Director of the Royal Society's Commission in 1903, left England on his second visit to Uganda, so as to continue his investigation on the pathology of sleeping sickness. The expedition had been organised at the request of the Colonial Office, with the Treasury finding the necessary funds. Sir David Bruce was accompanied by Captain H R Bateman, Captain Albert Ernest Hamerton RAMC and Captain F Percival Mackie IMS (Bruce's Three Musketeers). Lady Bruce, who had accompanied her husband on similar missions in Uganda, Zululand and Malta, was also a member of the new Commission. A laboratory was set up by the Government of Uganda at Mpumu two miles from the lake shore in a depopulated region in the province of Chagwe. The work of the commission lasted 9 months.1

Until the end of 1908 it was believed that tsetse flies acted merely as mechanical agents in the transference of trypanosome diseases. The parasite was supposed to be carried by the fly in the same way that vaccine lymph was carried on the point of a lancet from one child's arm to another. The limit of time of infectivity of the fly was placed at forty eight hours, and it was believed that if an infected area were emptied of its sleeping sickness inhabitants for a couple of days it would then be quite safe for healthy persons to enter it. At the end of 1908, Kleina made the discovery that a tsetse fly could convey a trypanosome for some fifty days after the fly had fed on an infected animal.

Experiments were carried out by the Commission to determine the duration of infectivity of the Glossina palpalis after the removal of the lake shore population. Both lake shore and laboratory bred flies were used, and various trypanosome diseases besides sleeping sickness were experimented with. Tsetse flies were numerous on the lake shore, 500 or more being caught every day by a few fly-boys. The flies brought up from the lake shore were found to be naturally infected with at least two species of pathogenic trypanosomes, so that it was afterwards found necessary to use flies bred in the laboratory from pupae gathered on the lake shore.

The Commission established that a late development of trypanosomes took place in about 5 per cent of the flies used. This maturation of trypanosomes inside the fly, rendered it infective and capable of passing the disease to the cattle it fed on. The shortest time which elapsed before a fly became infective after feeding on an animal infected with sleeping sickness was 18 day; the longest 53 days and the average 34 days. An infected fly had been kept alive in the laboratory for 75 days, and remained infective during that time. It was not known how long the tsetse fly lived under natural conditions on the lake-shore. Experiments made to test directly the duration of the infectivity of tsetse flies showed that they could retain their infectivity for at least two years after the native population has been removed from the fly area.

Colonel H R Bateman served in France with the British Expeditionary Force. He was twice mentioned in dispatches, and was awarded the DSO in 1915 for services rendered in connection with operations in the field. He retired from the Army in 1933.

In 1936, he became an instructor with the Air Raid Precautions Department of the Home Office. He returned to duty for another year on the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939. He then took up the appointment of Deputy Director of the Ministry of Health's Casualty and Ambulance services for England and Wales, which he held from 1940 to 1945. He also acted as chairman of Medical Boards under the Ministry of Pensions.

Colonel H R Bateman finally retired to Worthing, Sussex in 1947. He died at his home at Worthing on 1 April 1961, aged 84 years.

Service Record

29 Nov 1900 Appointed Lieutenant from Surgeon on Probation.
Was posted to Aldershot in December 1900.

Feb 1901 Change of Station from Aldershot to Woolwich.

May 1901 Change of Station from Woolwich to Egypt.

29 Nov 1903 Promoted Captain.

Dec 1904 Change of Station from Egypt to Malta.

5 Dec 1904 Arrived from Egypt.

June 1905 Staff Surgeon in charge of District Laboratory.

22 Oct 1905 Officer-in-Charge Mtarfa Hospital.
Presented a paper on Sanitation at the local monthly meetings.

Dec 1905 Returned to England, tour expired.

1906 Appointed a Specialist in Bacteriology.

Jan 1907 Change of Station from Millbank to the Royal Army Medical College.

July 1907 Change of Station from the Royal Army Medical College to London District.

May 1908 Change of Station from London District to Royal Army Medical College.

14 Sep 1908–1910 Member of the Uganda Sleeping Sickness Commission.
Was thanked by the Royal Society for his services in Uganda with Commission.

Apr 1911 Change of Station from London to Shorncliffe.

29 Aug 1912 Promoted Major.

June 1914 Appointed Specialist in Bacteriology at Shorncliffe.

1914–1919 Served with British Expeditionary Force in France.

18 Feb 1915 Awarded the Companion Distinguished Service Order.

July 1917–1918 Held the rank of Acting Lieutenant Colonel whilst in command No 8 Convalescent Home (Officers), Michelham.

10 Oct 1918 Major H R Bateman was promoted Lieutenant Colonel.

1918–1919 Commanding Officer 47 Casualty Clearing Station (CCS).

May 1919 Lt Col H R Bateman was granted the rank of Acting Colonel while employed as ADMS Welsh Division.

Nov 1919 Lt Col H R Bateman relinquished the Acting rank of Colonel.

1919–1924 Served in India and Burma.

1920–1924 Commanding Officer Burma Stationary Hospital Maymyo (May Town) now Pyin U Lwin.
At 1070 meters, the hill station of Maymyo was developed in 1896, to provide the British Colonial administration a haven from the heat and humidity of Rangoon.

1925–1927 Assistant Director of Pathology HQ Eastern Command.

30 Sep 1927–10 Apr 1930 Commandant Depôt and Training Establishment RAMC.

1928–1930 Served in India (invalided).

15 Apr 1930 Promoted Colonel L/RAMC on the promotion of Colonel Henry Charles Rupert Hime, with seniority from 10 October 1922.

1930–Oct 1933 Deputy Director of Medical Sciences Force Headquarters Gibraltar.

28 Oct 1933 Colonel H R Bateman was placed on retired pay having attained the age for retirement.

Dec 1936 Appointed a Home Office Medical Instructor of the Air Raid Precautions Department based at York Centre. The scheme of training by medical instructors was inaugurated in September 1936, with the appointment of ten fully qualified medical practitioners trained at the Civilian Anti Gas School. It soon became apparent, however, that for the instruction of the medical, dental, veterinary and nursing professions throughout England, Scotland and Wales this number was inadequate. Accordingly, six further medical men, who likewise underwent a course of training at the Civilian Anti Gas School, were appointed in December 1936.

The total number of persons who had passed through the hands of these instructors up to the end of January 1937 was around 3,300, made up approximately of 1,600 doctors, 1,300 nurses and 400 medical students. The majority of the medical practitioners had been reached through the British Medical Association, whose Branches had received courses of instruction.

28 Oct 1936 Ceased to remain on the Regular Army Reserve of Officers having attained the age liability to recall.

3 Dec 1936 Gave a series of lectures on Air Raid Precaution. On 3 December 1936, the Southern Branch of the British Medical Association Isle of Wight Division held a meeting at Newport so as to promote public interest in Air Raid precautions. Major Stuart Blackmore of the Air Raid Precautions Department of the Home Office spoke on the organisation of instruction classes in measures of defence against gas attack.

Following this meeting, the secretary of the Division, Dr H S Howie Wood, arranged three courses of lectures for members of the nursing profession at the Royal Isle of Wight County Hospital Ryde, the Royal National Hospital for Consumption, Ventnor, and the Isle of Wight County Mental Hospital, Newport, and a special medical course at the Albany Barracks, Parkhurst.

The courses consisted of six lecture demonstrations, each of two hours' duration, and included practical experience of gas masks in the gas chamber at the barracks. Fifty five doctors and 150 nurses and midwives attended the course. The speaker was Colonel H R Bateman; his lectures were much appreciated.

7 Oct 1937 The Worcestershire and Herfordshire Branch of the BMA held the first of a course of six lectures on air raid precautions at Droitwich Town Hall. The speaker was Colonel H R Bateman, Home Office Lecturer for the York Centre.

28 Apr–26 May 1938 The Worcestershire and Herfordshire Branch of the BMA organised a number of lectures on air raid precautions at the Royal Infirmary, Worcester. The speaker was Colonel H R Bateman, Home Office Lecturer for the York Centre.

3 Sep 1939–20 July 1940 Rejoined as Assistant Director of Medical Services HQ West Riding Area.

July 1940 Colonel Herbert Raymond Bateman retired in July 1940, when he took up an appointment as Deputy Director of the Ministry of Health's casualty and ambulance services for England and Wales. He held this appointment up to the end of the war. Before his final retirement to Worthing in 1947, he acted as Chairman of Medical Boards under the Ministry of Pensions.

June 1943 A largely attended conference on First Aid in Air Raids was held in London under the auspices of the Citizens Guild for Civil Defence, an association comprising the personnel and officers of the various services which protect life and property during air attack. The general subject discussed was practical first aid and ambulance work in wartime. It had been announced that the chairman would be Col H R Bateman, Deputy Director General of Casualty Services EMS, but the Ministry of Home Security requested him to withdraw, lest his occupancy of the chair would imply official participation in a privately organised conference.

1947 Colonel Herbert Raymond Bateman finally retired to Worthing Sussex, in 1947. He died at his home at Worthing on 1 April 1961, aged 84 years.